Chapter 61: Disappointed?

Thing had been a bit awkward between Marinette and Adrien ever since the reveal. Marinette had thought she and Cat Noir would be happy that Shadow Moth was gone, but now that she knew that Cat Noir was his son, she didn't really know how to feel. Adrien had been adopted by Nino's parents, and he luckily seemed to be doing alright.

But now, the possibility that they would have to face another Daedric Prince, this time one with an active agenda, had really put a damper on what little, bitter victory she took in defeating Shadow Moth.

A knock from the ceiling jerked her out of her thoughts. She climbed up to her bed and went out onto her balcony. Cat Noir was seated on the railing.

"Marinette? Can I... ask you a question?"

"Sure. You can ask me anything."

"Are... are you disappointed in me?"

"Wha- No! What brought this on?"

"Well, my dad turned out to be Shadow Moth and I somehow never noticed and-"

"Stop it," she said firmly, setting her hands on his shoulders. "I don't blame you one bit. It was absolutely by no stretch of the imagination your fault. He chose to misuse the Butterfly Miraculous, he chose to become evil, and he chose to mug children. Not you."

Cat Noir stayed silent.

"And if you're wondering, yes, I am still madly in love with you," Marinette added, feeling her cheeks heat up. Ever since Cat had stopped flirting with her as Ladybug, she'd found herself with a growing affection for her silly kitty, even before she found out that he was Adrien.

Cat Noir stepped off the balcony and said quietly, "Plagg, claws in," and there in his place was Adrien. The boy who deserved so much better than Gabriel. Or her.

She looked down, suddenly feeling ashamed. She'd seriously screwed up their partnership by not being transparent with him and could've caused a Cat Blanc 2.0 situation if Paarthurnax hadn't warned her. Besides, even if she didn't screw up, in what world would Adrien Agreste ever fall for a lowly baker's daughter?

"Though I doubt you'll return it," she mumbled dejectedly.

The next thing she knew a hand grabbed her shoulder and a second one lifted her chin up.

"Marinette, if there's any world where I fall in love with a lowly baker's daughter, it's this one-"

Marinette.exe has stopped functioning. Please reboot.