Chapter 55: Exposed

Nino's feeling of smug victory quickly turned to shock, then horror, then gave way to a pure, unbridled, downright murderous hatred as Shadow Moth disappeared in a flash of purple light.

The man lying there in his place? The one responsible for terrorizing Paris for years?

None other...

... than Gabriel Agreste.

"Gabriel!" he screamed, as tears of both rage and sadness for Adrien filled his eyes. "How could you?! Adrien was nearly killed multiple times because of your stupid, stupid insistence on Ladybug and Cat Noir's Miraculous! You're lucky Ladybug won on those days, or else you would've lost your son forever!"

Meanwhile, Ladybug fell to her knees, overwhelmed by everything she was feeling. Confused, angry, sad, betrayed... 

Alix's face twisted into a snarl terrifying to behold and she growled something incomprehensible in Dovahzul before pointing her sword at Gabriel.

"Wuld Nah-"

Luka quickly clapped a hand over Alix's mouth before she could finish the Shout and Juleka helped restrain and gag her. Paarthurnax jumped down from the building, Ladybug following suit. Cat Noir stayed back, still trying to comprehend what he was seeing.

"Why?" Paarthurnax asked, his voice still soft as usual but with anger and disappointment boiling just beneath the surface. "Why do you want the Ladybug and Black Cat Miraculous? Combining two normal ones is already dangerous enough, but the fusion of the two most powerful? That would likely destroy your mind."

"You wouldn't understand-"

"Cut it," Paarthurnax snapped. "I want a straight answer."

"We cannot trust him to give us one. He has been lying to Paris for years. Why would he stop now?"

"Look at him. He is completely broken. He will answer all our question truthfully."

Strunsahtiid snarled, but did not argue, and turned to Gabriel.

"Tell us the truth, then. Why did you want the Ladybug and Black Cat Miraculous?"

"I wished to combine them and use the Wish to bring my wife back to full health."

"So your wife is not dead or disappeared then?"

"No, but very close to dying."

"Do you not realize that the Wish demands a price equal to the request given?"

"I would give up anything to get my wife back," Gabriel snapped.

"Your riches?"

"Yes."

"Your success?"

"Yes."

"Your life?"

"Yes! I told you, anything!"

"Anything?"

"I said so repeatedly."

"Well then, would you give up... your son?"