Chapter Thirty-Seven

KhaLani's P.O.V

Three hole weeks have passed since I heard of my cousin's and David's death.

I haven't been mourning or I haven't felt sorry for the neither of them. I've felt actually great, somebody had to pay for my lost child.

I look at Kaylin as she walks out the school building searching for my car. I hunk the horn to give away my location.

She spots me and doesn't smile or anything like she use to. She's not fully over her attitude, I guess I can say she got that from me.

I climb out my car and cross the street.

"How was your day, baby?", I ask Kaylin as I grab her hand so we can cross.

No answer.

Kaylin just simply crosses the street with me and doesn't spare me a glance. That breaks my heart in two pieces.

She isn't talking to me and neither is August. He hasn't been right ever since he has returned from Missouri. He even started sleeping in the guest room.

Is he that disgusted by me for losing the baby?

When we get across the street, Kaylin climbs into the car and gets into her booster seat. I get into the driver and look at her in the rear view mirror before starting the car.

"Baby please will you talk to me, mommy is hurting as much as you", I say as I steal another glance at Kaylin.

Kaylin sighs before looking at me, "Mama, is Cassidy dead?", Kaylin asks briefly making me look back at her briefly before I look back at the road.

"What would make you think she's dead, baby?", I ask.

"I haven't seen her and when I ask about her you and daddy says she's sick, I miss her", Kaylin says making My heart break.

"That's why you've been upset?", I ask.

"Yeah, I lost my sibwiling, Cassidy wasn't at my birthday party and you and daddy messed my birthday up", Kaylin explains.

I feel bad all over again. How selfish am I?

"I'm sorry, I'll make sure you have the best sixth birthday party ever", I assure.

"Can Cassidy come to?", Kaylin asked hopefully.

"It depends, baby", I said making the smile on Kaylin's face disappear.

"Oh".

I hate seeing her sad but no one knows when Cassidy will come out the coma. I don't think Cassidy even know when she will pull through.

August's P.O.V

Am I a monster now?

I brutally killed someone and threaten kids just to feed the hate inside me.

I thought I had gotten over the miscarriage but I guess not if I taken away two lives. How could I take those kids parents away like that?

That wasn't me weeks ago, I don't know who that was.

I sigh before climbing out the guest's bed room bed. Before exiting the room I noticed how dirty the room is.

My clothes are scattered every where, I just brought those since KhaLani destroyed my old clothes. My shoes I also just brought are everywhere. The sheets and comforter are on the floor along with my clothes and shoes, the room is just a mess.

I walk out the room and down the long hall.

"Please don't do this man"

I whip my head behind me and notice there is no one there.

"You tripping, Mayne", I tell myself before rubbing my bare chest.

"You gone leave my kids alone in this world?"

I jump as David's voice rings in my head again, I hate guilt. I begin walking down the stair case trying to ignore my conscience.

"I'm come back for you, nigga!"

I trip over my own feet and go rolling down the stairs. My body hits each step and I feel like somebody is punching and kicking me.

"Ow", I groan as my head and back makes contact with a wall.

"August!", KhaLani yells running to me. "What happened, are you okay?"

"Yeah", I groan as I rub my head. "I just slipped", I add as I stand to my feet. My head bangs in agony making me groan.

KhaLani looks at me wryly while Kaylin comes to me. She hugs my leg making me feel warm inside. Then she raises her hands up signalling for me to pick her up.

I listen and swing her on my hip.

"Is your head okay, daddy?", Kaylin asks rubbing my head. I laugh something I haven't done in weeks.

"Yeah, its straight", I answer wincing.

Kaylin nodded, "I'm make it feel better any ways".

Kaylin kissed my forehead and rubbed it making me laugh harder. Man I don't even know why I was tripping.

"All better!", Kaylin exclaimed smiling big.

KhaLani then laughs and so do I. I ignore the pain from laughing and focus on my daughter.

KhaLani and I both look at our daughter in admiration as she laughs. Nothing more great than a child's laughter.