30. Promise

The smashing of the bathroom door echoed throughout the train compartment when Taehyung slammed it shut with a thud. 

Clenching his fists, he banged it on the washbasin's sink, causing a course of scarlet fluid to run down his palm then onto the floor. The pain he received from that was nothing as compared to the agony his heart was feeling. It felt like someone was stabbing him with a knife in the heart over and over again, then scratching that only to increase the stinging sensation more.

It felt terrible when he saw himself in the mirror, his red, puffy eyes asking only one question to God, 

"What was my fault? 

Why it always happens to me?

Why me?!" 

And that mirror stared blankly at him, not daring to answer his pleas.  

"What about our promise, Moon?" Once that first tear broke free down his cheek, the rest followed in an unbroken stream.

"Four corners of the castle, few windows, then the thick and strong walls to fight off the enemies and the passage dug from the sea to the castle to fill in the water with every wave."

"Perfect." The seven-year-old boy crossed his arms against his chest in delight.

"No, it's not complete yet, we're lacking something, Taehyung."

"How about now?" Taehyung kneeling next to her asked, collecting and placing the seashells where they seemed most magnificent and then lighting some candles which added on another charm to its beauty.

"Yes. Now it is Perfect." A bright and proud smile adorned her cheeks, showing off her cute little dimples. 

"Isn't it pretty?" The eyes of the girl of the same age as of his twinkled in awe.

"Hmm. Really pretty." Taehyung nodded looking at her.

"Is Prince and Princess's castle ready?" Taehyung heard his mother's voice who walked to them along with Moon's mother.

"Can we live in your castle too?"

"Please, Princess Moon?"

"Please, Prince Taehyung?"

"Umm...of course!" Both the tweens smiled happily.

"Taehyung, I want to marry you." Moon chimed, her eyes holding the innocence of the entire world.

"Hurry and promise that you will marry Moon."

"But I'm not sure."

"Why not? I want to live in this castle with you."

"Since you marry a person you love when you get older." 

"Then you can grow up and love Moon!"

"Alright, let's do this." After a moment of silence, Taehyung grins like a Cheshire cat.

"Then promise me." Moon brought her tiny pinky.

"Promise." With this, they pinky swore that they'd get married someday and will live in their beautiful castle happily forever."

Taehyung's mind reminisced memories that only made the tears to continue.

Not knowing whether to be mad or to give up hope altogether, Taehyung shrunk against the door, curled up like a cocoon, hugging his knees closer as he let the torrent of his tears to soak through his shirt.