36. Awake

When Jungkook flutter opened his eyelids, he found himself against a damp, creamy tiled concrete. Slowly rubbing his temples which were giving him a mild migraine, he stood up holding onto the nearest thing that came into his grasp. It didn't take him any longer to register where he was, in a washroom, in fact, in a school's washroom.

But before he could figure out why he was here, where were the others, why, when, and how he had put on a school uniform, the same navy-colored jacket, a matching vest, a long-sleeved collared white shirt, a checkered tie, and dress trousers as his middle school, suddenly there were shouts and cries, a lot of loud confusing noises. 

Gulping down the knot forming in his throat, when Jungkook turned the doorknob, which was surprisingly...hot, he was hit by a dreadful sight.

Even if he could see the flames raging right in front of his very eyes, even if he was encompassed by nothing but fire, his senses couldn't realize what was going on until someone bumped into him and made him jolt out his daze. 

"W-What happened? Why is everyone rushing out?!" Still puzzled, Jungkook asked stopping the same guy by his arms who had just crashed into him.

"Can't you see? A fire broke out!"

"Run!" 

The boy had already run away out of Jungkook's view after he received a hard push on his shoulder as a result.

Now panic started to build up in Jungkook's system, which was evident in his features as well. He scanned the place, there were screams all around which were creating full chaos, bellowed out thick smoke from all corners worsening the situation.

Jungkook hurried out following everyone else, his eyes widened when a chunky smoldered wooden slab blocked his way. He then dashed in opposite direction but the firestorm had already taken its toll.

Totally aghast, his insides were shrieking now.

"Help! Somebody help!"

His irises lighted up for an instant when his gaze landed on a little ray of hope in the dark tunnel, a window in one of the empty classrooms which thankfully didn't catch the fire yet. He glanced out of the window, the small shine in his eyes faded in just a second due to the height difference.

If he wasn't affected by the blaze then he would've surely broken his bones into innumerable pieces after bouncing off the window which seemed to be located on god knows how high and at which floor. 

A huge deafening blast startled him out terribly as he jumped out of his skin. Soon the walls, windows, doors, desks, everything was engulfed in burning flames. Jungkook was frozen on his spot as he took in the surroundings, everywhere he saw was the ravaging conflagration. 

That was it, there didn't seem to be an exit out of there. 

He was stuck.

His eyes instinctively fell on a round clock hanging on the wall, he couldn't help but wondered how it still slung up perfectly fine and the time it showed seemed oddly familiar...12:00.

Ignoring it and madly shoving away the desks in his way, he crouched down against the wall of one of the corners of the room. Hugging his knees close to his chest, and molding himself into a cocoon, he shielded his ears with both of his palms, tightly closed his eyes as he couldn't muster up the courage to look at the awful and petrifying scene. 

Flames, Flames Everywhere! 

His whole body was now trembling, he was completely horror-stricken, toxic fumes mercilessly started to clog into his lungs, causing him difficulty in breathing. It felt like the four walls were closing upon him, purposely choking him to death. He knew nothing could happen now, he was going to die to a lump of dead meat. Hot tears now glazed in his eyes, he had somehow accepted his fate.