39. Wavering Sentiments

As night fell, the blue haze of day lifted to reveal the innumerable stars. Through the moonless night came the rhythmic pounding of the waves and a cool breeze occasionally moving gently over their skin, flicking the tiniest grains of sand into their semi-closed eyes. 

"Jimin-ah, I messed up everything, didn't I?" Taehyung scoffed, grunting and running both of his hands down his face. Although it was secured under the dark veil Jimin could see his face muscles loosened down almost impassively.

A silence followed, only the sound of their breathing could be heard. 

"No, Taehyung. You did what you felt right at the moment. There's no fault of yours." Jimin took a glimpse at the side through the corner of his eye.

"But she will hate me. I bet she already does."

Jimin involuntarily released a sigh as he crisscrossed his fingers over both of his kneecaps. "You know her, she may be upset right now but her anger is just like a burning candle, it will melt away eventually."

"I know she will grasp that what you've done was only for our sake."

Jimin squeezed his tense shoulders as his eyes seized close in assurance. "So stop estimating about weird thoughts, and don't bother yourself much. Just give her some time. She will surely understand."

"She will."

"I hope so." 

"By the way, I know it's neither the right time nor the place for this but only if you don't mind, can I share with you something?" Jimin caused Taehyung to retract out of his thoughts as he was now facing him.

"Sure."

"But I'm afraid if you're comfortable with this right now."

"No, Never mind," With the last thought, Jimin turned away his gaze up to the gloomy sky.

"You know, you have to tell me now. Trust me, I'll be okay with that. Tell me, what is it?" Taehyung placed his palm on the latter's thigh.

"Actually, it's about Moon..." Jimin trailed off with a hint of hesitancy in his voice. His eyes traveled around as if trying to focus on one thing. The campfire crackled from behind, silhouette from the flames casting over both of their backs.

"I thought long and hard about it. And the conclusion I came to is this." 

"I like her." That was it and Taehyung's soul suddenly felt fragile. He wasn't sure if it was just the deception of his eyes, or his palm was really sweating and trembling a-little.

"Just like I did for all those past years. No, even more than that. I like her a lot." A pink blush already crept up to his cheeks as he fiddled with his fingers.

Taehyung's heart was complicated with thousands of emotions once again as if a smooshed ice-cream melting on a hot road.  

"My feelings for her keep inflating my heart and it feels like it could burst at any second."

"I can't help it anymore so I'm planning to tell her soon." 

"Keep it a secret for now though, okay?" 

Why couldn't you keep it a secret from me too?  Taehyung was already in transition to become the person he never wanted to be. 

And now whether he wanted or not but he became one, all he could do was sticking to his determination to take great care not to damage the bonds of friendship, love, relationships, and people who were everything to his heart and soul. Letting go was how he could rescue their souls, and his', from the abyss.