34. Reversal

"Aaah!"

Taehyung's shriek echoed with the mixture of his unstable breaths when his foot right passed through the gap in between two wooden planks, he could feel the heat emitting from the lava at his heel. 

"T-Thanks, Jungkook. If it wasn't you then God knows what would have happened to m—"

"Nothing was gonna happen to you!" Cold sweat dripped down Moon's forehead by just the mere thought of the possibility.

"She's right." Despite the tension in the air, Jungkook managed to show his bunny smile as he slowly released his grip from Taehyung's armpits after putting him back to his feet.

As they skipped from plank to plank with alertness at its peak, the bridge was swaying vigorously, and in spite of the dull, quiet, and gloomy sky, the anonymous wind currents weren't sparing any mercy either.

"You can do this, you can do this. All you have to do is just to avoid looking down," Jimin was now mumbling to himself, his shaking eyes barely open enough to watch out his own steps, his grasp was so tight on the pair of harsh ropes that his knuckles were turning white. He was trying his very best to not let his mild fear of acrophobia take over his balance.

"Just a few steps more,"

Namjoon's teeth were still gritted tightly as he leaped his last step and finally, his soles touched the piece of land on the other end, followed by Jimin who stretched his hand only to grab Moon's and make her land safely next to him, who then trailed by Taehyung, Jungkook, Bee and Hoseok who perched with a little help of Bee, then Yoongi who eventually made to the other side a second later.

Creak. 

Jin's pupils dilated in confusion when his eyeballs rolled below instinctively, which then didn't waste a more instant before widening to their max.

The next few moments were blurring that the group of eight couldn't process anything. 

The bridge snapped into two halves and with a hard jolt, Jin slipped along with half of the bridge away.  

"Hyung!"

Screams came in unison as a feeling of dread filled the pit of their stomachs.

Jin watched in horror when a bisection of the bridge dissolved into the burning lava into nothingness.

"Hold on,"

Jin could feel the immense heat at the tips of his feet, his irises were unusually orange as the blazing flames were reflected in them, blood dripping down from his palms as he was having death grip onto the ropes of the other section of the bridge which was suspiciously still hanging in the mid-air. He attempted to fly away but to no avail, as his eyes faded back to normal after gleaming pearl white for a flash.

Jin's legs flailed in desperation as it would take just a very few jiffs for the vehemence of heat to swell his airway shut and to literally boil his brain.

Just when Namjoon and Taehyung were bracing themselves to soar into the hot air, their orbs already shining strong emerald and purple respectively, everything happened within the blink of an eye that their wits along with the others couldn't comprehend.

The destroyed portion of the bridge ascended back from the lava and suddenly, Jin was back on his feet as the other part of the bridge united with his' and formed into a perfect bridge again, as if not broken at all.

A fusion of terror and bafflement filled Jin's system as he scanned his eyes back and forth. He couldn't clear the phantoms from his head and grasp the reality which his mind, his eyes, his every bit was yet to confirm.