Forty

chapter forty | guilt and confusion

Dara was still in daze as she stared blankly in the air. It was as if she can’t see the lights which were shifting or hear the loud music blasting in the whole club. She grabbed another bottle of beer and drunk it in one go. If he were there, he would definitely snatch the bottle and drink it all for himself while laughing. She raked her hair as she bit her lips she don’t even know where it was all coming from but thoughts of the simple things he did and do filled her mind. Her friends stared at her as they glance at Jiyong who was keeping his silence as he stared at his girlfriend who was currently lost in her thoughts as guilt was gripping her neck tightly.

‘Babe,’ Jiyong whispered as he wrapped his arms around her snapping her back to reality. ‘I-,’ she tried to reason or pull something to say only to clamp her mouth close again. Jiyong snuggled more to her as he placed his chin on her shoulder. Dara chuckled as she stared at her boyfriend. ‘You’re worried?’ she asked as Jiyong kept his stares at her. ‘I’m fine... I mean I would be fine... sooner or later,’ she smiled at him as he gave her a nod. ‘I think we should go home,’ he said as he stood up and offered his hand to her, which she gladly took. ‘I, we have to go guys,’ she smiled faintly at her friends who gave them a nod. Dara walked to Seung Ri as she gave him a tight squeeze. ‘Sorry... Ri,’ she whispered as the latter hugged her back. ‘No worries noona, hyung is just being a pain in the ass,’ he said laughing making Dara chuckle a bit.

‘He’s right, don’t mind him we never lack in warning him,’ Youngbae said raising his brow as he drunk from his bottle. ‘He’ll be back,’ Daesung assured her, smiling. She heaved a sigh as she nodded. ‘Thanks,’ she said timidly as the boys laughed including Chaerin. ‘I can’t help not to notice changes in you... Hyung did a good job,’ Seung Ri said glancing at Jiyong who was suppressing his laughters as Dara turned beet red. ‘Oh shut up! Let’s go!’ she grumpily exclaimed as she pulled Jiyong with her leaving all their laughing friends behind.

The cold wind welcomed Dara as they stepped out of the club. Jiyong quickly removed his jacket as he placed it over her making Dara bit her lips suppressing her giddiness. Just let it out unnie. ‘How about we take a walk on the Han river, before going home,’ he suggested as he hold her hands. She tapped her fingers against her chin. ‘Let me think about it,’ she said squinting her eyes. Jiyong rolled his eyes. ‘As if you’ll say no,’ he said as he shoved her on his arms making Dara gasped as she burst into giggles while holding at him as he started to walk carrying her in his arms. He then put her down after meters of walking with her clinging on his arms as they started laughing at their silliness.

After almost half hour of walking accompanied with endless stories they reached the Han river, which welcomed them with a breath taking scenery. ‘This place is always beautiful,’ Dara whispered as they both sat down on the green grass, staring at the water as it reflects the bright city of Seoul. ‘Like you,’ he whispered making her roll her eyes. ‘Stop being cheesy,’ she muttered chuckling. ‘I’m not being cheesy. I’m actually telling the truth,’ he said while gently tucking her hair behind her ears. ‘Whatever,’ she rolled her eyes before letting out a giddy smile.

‘How about we play a game,’ he suggested as Dara slit her eyes on him. ‘I don’t like it every time you say those words,’ she said making him laugh. ‘It’s an old game, my favourite. The question game. Don’t tell me the great Sandara Park has gone chicken now?’ he said smirking, mocking. ‘What?’ she gasped earning a teasing smirk from him. ‘Bring it on,’ she said huffing with arrogance. Taking that as a cue he moved closer to her as she involuntarily moved backward making her lie on the grass as he hovered above her. ‘What are you doing?’ she asked and so the game started.