Chapter 45: I know

After dinner Bucky took your hand again, walking out of the building, "I have one last thing planned" Before you could answer, he started moving through the crowd, not loosening the grip around your hand, as you both made your way out of the herd of people.

"Where are we going?" You asked as he continued to drag you. 

"Just a place we haven't been to in a long time." He stopped to see you, making sure you were okay. You give a smile to reassure him, making his smile widen as he resumed walking. After walking a few more blocks he stopped in front of a small complex. You look at the dim light sign on top of the building, Betty's Ice Parlor. 

"Bucky" You looked at him, his eyes tinkering again. You guys walked into the small room that was Betty's Parlor. You let Bucky order 2 chocolate ice cream cones, with a little cherry and sprinkles on you.

"Do you remember when you fought with Dot about-" He said as you guys walked out to the parlor.

"about you guys, yeah" You smiled though your tears, remembering back to that day, "She didn't let you and Steve have chocolate chip ice cream"

"You almost punched her that day" He looked at you, devouring his ice cream. 

"I would have if it weren't for you literally carrying me out of the place." You took the cherry out of your, moving it to his lips, before placing it on his nose, smudging the ice cream on it to his nose.

"Hey" He yelped wiping the brown stuff off his nose, making you burst out in laughter. "Is it all gone?"

You wipe a bit of the ice cream he missed "There" Your hand lingered on his face, caressing his cheek, looking at him in his most natural state, how he used to be all those years ago, adorable, sweet, and so cute. Without know, a tear escapes your eyes as you look at him. 

"Hey, you okay?" He asked worried at you tearing up. You shook your head, wiping it away "Yeah, just, um, it's been so long since spent time like this, just the two of us, alone." You give another smile, "It feels good." You cleared your throat and resumed to walk, but Bucky held your hand not allowing you to move away from him.

"I know, we haven't really haven't had much time for ourselves, that's why I wanted to do this. I just wanted to show how much I love you, how much you mean to me. How much I miss spending time with you. How much I want you, how much I need you. I needed to prove to you that I am deserving of your love."

"Bucky?"

"I need to show that I haven't changed, that I am still Bucky Barnes, your Bucky Barnes." He held your hand to his face, kissing your palm. "Your sarge"

"You don't have to prove or show me anything, I-"

"You think I don't know what is happening? What has been happening? You think I didn't notice how you flinch every time I touch you."

"Bucky, I-"

"I know this is hard, but I also know that we can get through this together." He stepped closer, "I know you think I am this fragile glass that is waiting to be shattered, I know the troubles you go through to make sure I am fine, I know you walk on eggshells around me" He paused looking down, "I know"

"Buck" You try to speak but his words hit you harder than any physical pain you ever faced. He stayed silent, trying to compose himself.

"You can't hurt me, ever." He let out a breath he didn't know he had held this long. "All the things that happened to us, it wasn't you." Your head shot up as he says that. 

"What? How do you?"

"I was coming behind you because your phone was buzzing, but then I overheard you and Nat talking. I am sorry, I know I shouldn't have stayed there, but when I heard you say those things I-I froze." "Why wouldn't you tell me? Why do I have to know how my girlfriend, my best friend is feeling through someone else. When I say I want you, I mean I want all of you, and that I want your love, your patience, your anger, and your pain, all of it. I want to make sure you are comfortable, that you're happy, that I am the one who is able to put a smile on your face. I don't want to be the reason why you suffer, the reason you cry, the reason for your pain."