Chapter 4: The Witching Hour

Jihyung and Jingsi quickly hid around the corner as Rosa and Kun made their exit, scared of being caught

Jihyung and Jingsi quickly hid around the corner as Rosa and Kun made their exit, scared of being caught. They had heard everything that was said inside though, and were both thinking about what to do next.

"Are you down for a trip right now?" Jingsi asked, playfully tugging Jihyung's arm.

Jihyung looked back towards the direction his sister and Xun were, thinking for a second before responding. He inhaled deeply before turning back to Jingsi.

"As long as I don't end up dead."

...

"Are you sure it's here?" Minsun asked, looking around the forest for any sign of the cottage Xun's parents had mentioned. "I only see trees."

"Well according to this ridiculously old map that's about to break apart that my parents found, yes." Xun said before sighing. Minsun turned around to see him rolling the map up. "This is pointless, isn't it."

"Hm, I don't know." Minsun said, taking his arm and pulling him forward. "Maybe we're not looking hard enough."

"I don't know what else you want me to do." Xun murmured, lifting a hand. A small orb of shadows appeared and he gently threw it in front of him.

To the surprise of both of them, the orb seemed to have hit what seemed like a wall, the air in front of them vibrating. "Cloaking spell?"

"Something like that." Xun said, pushing Minsun back ever so slightly. He stepped forward, reaching his hand out.

"Feel something?" Minsun asked, watching as Xun's hand looked like it was just waving through the air.

"Not really, that's weird." Xun said, turning back to her. "I think it's really just to cover something, but not act as a wall or anything."

"That's a weird spell to have." Minsun said as they decided to step through. "Isn't it pointless?'

"I don't think so." Xun said as the cottage that they were looking for suddenly appeared in front of them. "The reasoning behind the spell is just something that we'll never understand."

He watched as Minsun stared at the cottage, internally debating whether they should continue or not.

"Maybe we should have brought cookies as a housewarming gift."

...

Minsun would be lying if she said that the cottage didn't creep her out. She thought the Ombra castle had an eerie feel but right now, it couldn't even compare. Everything inside her screamed at her to run away, but she knew she couldn't.

"I suppose we should knock." Xun said, lifting a hand up once he realized Minsun wouldn't be doing the honours. She simply watched as he knocked on the door, the two of them waiting for it to open.

They stood there in silence for a bit, waiting for someone to open the door. When enough time had passed, Xun decided to knock again, but when he lifted his head, the door flew open.

Minsun blinked as she caught sight of the lady standing there. She had long, white hair, and wore a long black dress. Around her neck was a silver chain with a charm that Minsun didn't recognize, perhaps a symbol of black magic.

Xun seemed equally as taken aback, the lady appearing much more youthful than either of them expected. Her eyes were on the choker around Minsun's neck the entire time, and when she spoke, it was soft yet full of authority.

"Why do you have that?" The lady asked, eyes remaining on Minsun's vare.

"This?" Minsun squeaked out, placing a hand on her choker. "It's my vare."

"That's not possible." The old lady replied immediately. "It can't be."

"I thought it was normal to have vares of late relatives. It's a family heirloom too." Xun started, reading Minsun's thoughts.

"Not that one." The old lady said, narrowing her eyes as she focused on Minsun's vare. "That one was used for black magic, it shouldn't be touched ever again. The fact that you own it as your vare is already a bad sign."

Minsun didn't know what to say, a blank stare on her face as she didn't know how to take the old lady's words in. A bad sign?!

The wind howling in the forest behind them brought the old lady back to reality, realizing that they were still standing at her door. She quickly stepped back, widening the door and motioning them inside.

"Where are my manners? Your majesties, please come in."

...

Minsun looked around the cottage, not used to seeing a place like this. The shelves were full of potions and vials filled with unfamiliar substances, and rugs and drapes filling the floors and walls. There was a fireplace and a couch in the centre, which was where Minsun and Xun found themselves settled.

The lady placed a tray with cups of tea down in front of them. "Please, help yourself." Minsun and Xun both thanked her before each picking a cup up, warming up their hands.

"So you said that Minsun's vare shouldn't... be her's?" Xun asked, getting right down to business. The lady didn't seem to mind though, nodding her head.

"It really shouldn't. It was used to transfer a life, and if it was ever owned by another person, that would only serve as a warning of bad news about to come."

"Would my dreams have something to do with this?" Minsun asked, her words gaining the old lady's attention.

"Dreams? What dreams?"

"Minsun has been having dreams where she sees Grace's memories." Xun informed her. "Wait, you know who Grace is, right?"

The old lady chuckled, nodding her head. "Yes, I do know her. She came here before she died."

A question popped up in Minsun's head, and she couldn't help but ask. "What was she like?"

"The princess?" The old lady quickly corrected herself once she realized how the times had changed. "Oh, I'm sorry. I forget that she's no longer the Princess of Ombra."

The old lady placed the cup of tea in her hands, motioning to Minsun to do the same. Minsun followed her, watching the old lady roll her sleeves. "My father says that I resemble her."

"I can see it." The old lady told her. "If what you say is true and you really are connected to her, then this should work.

What would work? Minsun wanted to ask but never got the chance as the old lady reached out, grabbing Minsun's hands without another word.

———————————————————————————Totally did not get distracted and almost forgot to update

Totally did not get distracted and almost forgot to update