Chapter 3: Closed Off (part 3)

According to Jungwoo, the creatures could sense the presence of the eight keys, which meant that the door would be closed soon

According to Jungwoo, the creatures could sense the presence of the eight keys, which meant that the door would be closed soon. They were all frantically trying to escape, which made their trip a little slower than expected.

However, this was also a training opportunity, and the group definitely used it to their advantage. Minsun had never realized how strong her younger brother had gotten until she watched him singlehanded pierce a few large monsters with his ice daggers, impressing the adults.

Minsun thought that she could spend some time with Xun while on the way to close the door, but Grace had other plans, holding onto her daughter tightly to her side. She wanted Minsun to work on her black magic skills, hoping that Minsun could gain full control of her powers as soon as possible.

"I can't do this." Minsun sighed as she watched the monster she was supposed to freeze move after a few seconds, feeling exhausted. Her feet were already dragging, and she was beginning to feel light headed. "I don't think I'm strong enough for this."

"You're my daughter, you have the energy of both Jungwoo and I. There's no way you're not strong enough for this. Try again." Grace replied, a determined look on her face.

Minsun glanced over at her father with pleading eyes, hoping that Jungwoo could help convince Grace. The male took the hint, placing a hand on Grace's shoulder.

"Minsun's been working hard for the last bit, perhaps a break wouldn't her. You wouldn't want to tire her too much, then she'll never learn." Jungwoo told her.

"But-"

"Grace." A sigh escaped her lips, signalling her defeat. Jungwoo smiled, placing a kiss on the top of Grace's head before wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

"Fine." Grace said, narrowing her eyes at Minsun. "Rest a bit. We'll continue later."

Minsun felt relieved as she thanked her mother before eyeing Xun, who had witnessed it all. He had a smirk on his face, one that she wanted to wipe off.

"What?" Minsun glared, only making Xun laugh as she joined him. Xun opened a water bottle, passing it to the girl.

"Replenish your energy first, you look like you're about to pass out." Xun told her.

"That's how I feel." Minsun mumbled, taking the bottle from Xun. She easily gulped down the contents, quenched from using black magic for so long. "Were you watching for the whole time?"

"Most of it." Xun said, earning a pout from Minsun. Xun pointed up ahead, specifically at the two children chasing each other and screaming. "I think your brother has a crush."

"He does? On who?" Minsun asked but soon realized how dumb her question was.

"Who else, silly." Xun said, ruffling Minsun's hair.

"Hey, I'm tired! My brain isn't functioning properly!" Minsun tried defending herself, but it didn't work too well.

"Sure it is." Xun said, shoving his hands in his pockets.