Chapter 3: Closed Off (part 1)

Mark was certain that he gave his sister clear instructions on being nice to Chaehee

Mark was certain that he gave his sister clear instructions on being nice to Chaehee. Sungchan's wife was a kind girl and he had no problems with her, but Grace sure had other plans.

While on the other side, Grace was able to meet a few other wielders of black magic. She learned a few tricks through them, and had been practicing her powers since. Unfortunately though, after coming through the doors, Grace had no word on their statuses and assumed that Chanyoung had found them first, just like how he had found the witch.

Coming back from the cottage, Mark had to admit, he was disappointed that the key wasn't there. They were still able to retrieve valuable items and spell books, ones that Grace planned on using to teach Minsun what she could.

During their search though, Xun had found a photo, a photo of the witch and a child, one that seemed too familiar. Further investigation allowed them to find a few more photos, and it didn't take long for them to realize that the girl in it was Chaehee.

And to think she was brought up with a single parent, Mark thought, a part of him feeling sorry as he had to watch Chaehee explain to her husband who her mother really was.

Mark really didn't want to believe that Chaehee had been hiding the key from them this entire time. He trusted his people and he had trusted that they would speak up if they had something. When he and Grace got close to her shared bedroom with Sungchan, they could feel the power of the object, making it clear that Chaehee was the one who had been hiding it all along.

When Chaehee finished with Sungchan, she turned towards Mark, glaring at the male. "I'm guessing you want to talk now?"

"We can wait until morning." Mark said but his sister wasn't as kind.

"Where's the key?" Grace demanded, her arms crossed as she leaned against the wall. Mark bit his lip as Chaehee rolled her eyes, shaking her head.

"If you ask like that, you make me want to keep it instead of giving it to you." Chaehee mumbled.

"Grace, we can deal with this in the morning, it's late." Mark said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Grace gave Mark a look that Mark returned, using his authority over her. He could tell that his sister had read his thoughts, a deep sigh escaping her lips as she gave in. "Fine but I'm not leaving here without the key."

Grace walked away, not even bothering to say good night. Mark breathed deeply, not liking how his sister was acting.

"I've heard that she wasn't always like this." Chaehee said, breaking the silence as she crossed her arms. "Didn't know death could change someone that much."

"I think it's more than that." Mark said, shoving his hands in his pockets before turning back to Chaehee. "The situation with Chanyoung worries her. That's just her defense mechanism, she doesn't mean it."