Chapter 4: Prepare for War (part 2)

Mark nervously fumbled with his fingers as he watched Minsun focus, a dark cloud forming around her

Mark nervously fumbled with his fingers as he watched Minsun focus, a dark cloud forming around her. They were in Ombra, training and working on their black magic.

Chaehee was with them, watching from beside Mark. She was probably the best black magic user aside from Chanyoung, being their best chance in defeating him. He would have wanted his sister to be there with them, but she was busy working with the other troops. Wooyoung's death was hitting them hard, being a sign that they needed to be careful with what they did from then on.

"She's good." Chaehee said, nodding her head and peering at Mark. "She has potential, a lot of potential."

"Will it be enough though?" Mark asked, worried. It wasn't that he didn't believe in the girl, but he also knew how powerful Chanyoung was. They were going up against someone who grew up fighting, grew up in a time of war. They needed more than just skill to defeat him, they needed to be smart.

Chaehee gritted her teeth, avoiding Mark's eyes. "This battle isn't going to be easy for any of us."

Mark let out an audible sigh, trying not to let Chaehee's lack of response affect him. There's still hope, Mark told himself. We've gotten this far, we have to find a way.

"Hey Minsun!" Chaehee called, waving the girl in the distance. "That's enough. You can stop now, come back."

Mark forced a smile on his face as Minsun turned back, running towards them. She seemed tired but still had energy, making Mark feel a bit better. He passed her a bottle of water, letting her catch her breath and freshen up.

"You did well, good job." Mark said, patting her back. "I'm proud of you."

"Why are you so sappy?" Minsun giggled, shaking her head. "It's just training."

"I know but it's going to be hard from now on." Mark said, walking along with Minsun. He had forgotten Chaehee was there until she cleared her throat, making the other two turn.

"I'm going to head inside, but you two are welcome to continue." Chaehee said, clearly feeling awkward between the two. Mark felt bad but knew that Chaehee wouldn't take it personally.

"We'll come with you, it's cold." Minsun said, giving Mark a small smile before walking past him. Mark shook his head, following the two girls inside the castle.

Once they were in, Chaehee thanked them before running off, saying that she promised to meet Sungchan for dinner. The sound of Sungchan's name made Minsun stiffen ever so slightly, surprising Mark. It was small, barely noticeable, but since he raised Minsun, he knew all her habits. Something was wrong.

"Do you want to have dinner here?" Mark asked, knowing that it would take them a while to get back to the central castle. Plus, he knew how close she was to Xun, so she probably wanted to spend some extra time with him too.