4.4

The escape went  by relatively smooth. After Agent Hill got everyone out, she lead the group to some random abandon facility, with Asta helping Natasha, letting the red head lean on her, seeing as she was still injured. "GSW. She's lost at least a pint." Agent Hill instructs to a man who was making his way to them from within the hallway.

"Maybe two." Sam chimes in.

"Let me take her." the Doctor says with concern.

"She'll want to see him first." Hill says before leading them all to a room, revealing an injured but very alive Nick Fury. 

"About damn time." he tells the group, who all looked at him with either shock or confusion.

The Doctor has Asta help Natasha take a seat before treating her wound as the other stand around and listen to Fury talk. " Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, one hell of a headache." he tells them.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung." the Doctor brings up.

"Oh, let's not forget that. Otherwise, I'm good." Fury says with an eyeroll.

"They cut you open, your heart stopped." Natasha brings up wincing a bit as her wound gets stitched.

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it." Fury explains.

"Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?" Steve questions.

"Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful." Hill clarifies.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead. Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust." Fury explains.

_________

They all move to a makeshift meeting room with a able as they talk things over. "This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize. He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.' See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." Fury tells them, placing down a picture of Pierce on the table.

"We have to stop the launch." Natasha says.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." Fury says before leaning forward opening a case, showing everyone three chips.

"What's that?" Sam questions.

"Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized." Hill begins to explain, turning the computer towards the others to see a digital map.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Fury follows up.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational a whole lot of people are gonna die." Hill continues to explain.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We need to get pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left." Fury finishes the explanation.

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD." Steve argues.

"SHIELD had nothing to do with it." Fury counters.

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed." Steve explains annoyed.

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Fury matches his tone.

"And how many paid the price before you did?" Steve questions calmly.

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes." Fury tells him.

"Even if you have, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes." Steve tells him seriously.

"He's right." Hill agrees.

Fury looks to Natasha but she makes no move to disagree, then to Sam, "Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower." he tells Fury.

Fury then looks to Asta, "It's the right thing to do." she says, siding with Steve.

Fury sighs, "Well." he starts, leaning back in his seat, "Looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain." he says.

____________

"So, how can I help? I'm not necessarily a spy, or a solider." Asta questions as they get their plan in order. 

Hill looks at her then down at her gear on the table. "You can use a gun right?" she questions.

"Yeah, Natasha taught me. I also can use daggers or swords." the princess says.

Agent Hill looks at her again, giving a small smile. "Then you'll be of help. You'll be with us as we infuriate the main headquarters. And Romanoff with be focused on Pierce." She explains before handing the blonde a holster belt.

Asta grabs it, putting it on, noting that it had two guns that were loaded, with spare ammo in the other pockets. "Thanks." she says before remembering something. "Agent Hill... I know you probably can't tell me much but, was Fury in contact with Agent May before all this happened?" she questions.

Hill tenses, before slowly looking towards the Asgardian, "How do you know May?" she questions hesitantly.

"I met her... and the others... on the bus before Natasha called for my help." Asta says vaguely, remembering what Coulson said about wanting to tell the other Avengers himself.

Hill notes the vague words, and relaxes. "Yes, she was. But with all that happened we haven't had a chance to get our own secure line to tell her what's happened." Hill tells her, having no reason to lie to her.

Asta nods, "Good to know." she ends it there, glad to know that when she left it was just a misunderstanding.

"Will you go back?" Hill asks as she fixes her own belt.

"Maybe. If they'd like me to, or just need the help." the blonde replies with a shrug.

"Have you met Fitz-Simmons?" Hill asks with an amused look.

She nods, "Yes. They're very entertaining and kind." she tells the agent.

Hill raises an eyebrow, "They haven't talked your ear off yet?" she questions.

"Yes, but in a good way. Fitz was teaching me more on earth technology within science. And  Simmons wanted me to read a book about some detective but I haven't had the time." Asta tells her with a found smile and the two begin to exit the room.

Hill lets out a small laugh, "Well that's good. When I met them they would ramble for minutes on end on things I barley understood. But they're good people, to smart for their own good sometimes." she jokes.

"They truly are brilliant." the princess says before they meet with the others.

_______________

1080 words

Sorry for a bit of delay! Hope you enjoy!

Vote

Comment

Share

Lots of luv~ snowflake