5.3

Season 1 ep. 22- Beginning of the end

pt. 2

__________________________

The three had shifted on how they were within the pod room, Simmons was hesitant on allowing Asta to move to sit up but given the current situation there wasn't much room to argue a point. Asta was now sitting next to Fitz the two of them across from Simmons who was looking out the window into the ocean in thought. 

"Are you scared?" Simmons questions out loud to the others.

"Yeah." Asta replies quietly.

"Yeah. And I'm hungry, too." Fitz replies causing the two girls to look at him.

"Me too, scared and hungry. What do you think it's like?" Simmons replies.

"Death?" Fitz questions earning a  nod from her. "Well, depends on the method, really. Drowning's supposed to be quite pleasant in the end. Apparently once the water fills up your lungs –" Fitz begins to ramble.

"I think she means after." Asta cuts him short

"Ah, yeah. Well, my mum always said that you shouldn't be afraid because it's just like the way life was before you were born...which wasn't that bad, was it?" Fitz says with a raised eyebrow.

The girls give him a small smile at his words, "That's sweet...though apparently I was miserable before I was born – upside down, umbilical cord all wrapped around my head." Simmons jokes.

"Yeah, well she meant, pre-conception, of course –" Fitz starts to overexplain, but is cut short.

"I know, I'm joking." Simmons tells him, trying not to laugh.

"Yeah, I know you're joking, that's fine." Fitz replies quickly.

"I like to think about the First Law of Thermodynamics, that no energy in the universe is created..." Simmons begins.

"None is destroyed." Fitz-Simmons say at the same time.

Asta gives the two a smile, "I love it when you two do that." she admits to them, earning a smile from the two scientist.

"That means that every bit of energy inside us, every particle –" Simmons starts, looking back out the window.  "Will go on to be a part of something else. Maybe live as a dragonfish, a microbe, maybe burn in a supernova 10 billion years from now. And every part of us now was once a part of some other thing – a moon, a storm cloud, a mammoth."

"A monkey." Fitz chimes in.

She turns and gives him a big warm smile. "A monkey. Thousands and thousands of other beautiful things that were just as terrified to die as we are. We gave them a new life – a good one, I hope. It's fitting we're down here together, Fitz. This is where all life began on our planet, anyway...Just outside that glass..." she drifts off, sitting up a bit more. She puts her hand to the window lost in thought. 

"Jemma..." Fitz starts a bit hesitant. "What?" he asks her.

"The glass. Fitz, the glass." Simmons says in realization, turning her head to look at them.

"Yeah. It's bulletproof, pressure-resistant." Fitz says confused.

"What is it Jemma?" Asta questions, now getting lost.

"The seal is 4-hydroxy-4-methyl-2-pentanone, surely." Simmons explains, more so to Fitz.

"Yeah, I know what you're thinking, but the flash point is too high for it to burn." Fitz tells her, understanding her idea but not getting excited like her.

"But medical ethanol has a low flash point, and it burns –" Simmons starts to explain.

"Hotter. If we could use the defibrillator as an ignition source..." Fitz continues in realization.