irl

[ FLASHBACK: PROM NIGHT | 6 YEARS AGO ]

DENKI LOOKED AROUND, lights spinning around the entire hall as he blinked. He had initially arrived with his own date; a last-minute find after realizing that all of his friends had scored their own. Well, Sero claimed to have his own, but he lied and only confessed before ditching his friends to inhale the snacks display.

Kaminari's date had let go of him a long time ago, leaving him ditched under the bright rays and the hall filled with people he didn't know. Four years and I haven't bothered to know any of my classmates. . . that's pathetic. He dryly laughed at himself, sipping another cup of punch. He looked around a bit more before sighing and heading outside.

He nearly dropped his punch at the sight of Y/n hunched over on the stairs, her elbows set on her knees as she stared out at the stairs. "AH, YOU ALMOST MADE ME DROP MY PUNCH!" Y/n whirled her head around, equally as startled as him as her eyes wide. She processed what he said for a moment before rolling her eyes and laughing softly.

"Did you seriously make a Vine reference?"

"And what about it?"

"Nothing, nothing," She dismissed him, still giggling. He merely grinned back, dropping down to sit beside her. He finished the last of his drink before setting the empty cup on the ground. "What happened to your date?" Although Y/n was clearly alone, she didn't seem to mind whatsoever.

She shrugged lazily, "He went off to dance with this other girl. Honestly, I had only accompanied him so he could get his ex-girlfriend back and I guess it turned out as he planned." Denki's heart fluttered at her genuine act of kindness. That was Y/n; she never cared about how things turned out for her eventually.

He admired that about her, endlessly. "What about yours?" Denki raised a brow at her and exaggeratedly tilted his head. "She couldn't handle how seggsy and swag I was, so she ditched me too. To be honest, I think she left me to go talk to her friends; I'm not exactly everyone's first choice as a prom date."

"After you poured oil down the stairs because you thought senior pranks could be done by freshmen too, I can see why."

He punched her shoulder for that, only making the both of them grow more amused. She yelped slightly, dramatically holding onto her arm as he only laughed harder. There was a moment of silence before he smiled at her again, "So, since both of our dates ditched us, wanna go somewhere else?"

Instantly, Y/n's brows furrowed and she blinked. "What about Hanta?"

"I wouldn't be surprised if he starts DJ-ing for the party, c'mon."

Kaminari's heart pounded in his chest as she thought it over before putting her hand in his, barely getting a breath out only for him to tug her figure as he sped down the sidewalk. The two laughed at each other as he raced down the street, barely missing a few pedestrians that scolded them along the way.

The streetlights shone against the sidewalk, lighting up the path that he led her down as the two arrived at his final destination: a Denny's. "Denny's?" Y/n asked quizzically, not questioning his taste in food places (he had top-tier food taste), but more for his random choice. He quirked a brow at her as if she was stupid.

"C'mon, a twenty-four-hour diner that sells bomb waffles?"

Y/n could see where she was being stupid, nodding ecstatically as he dragged her inside, never letting go of her hand in the process. The two slid into one of the booth seats, grinning at each other like idiots. He didn't know why he felt so lightweight and fluttery today, but he chalked it up to him being happy.

Denki had been here enough to know what he was going to order, his foot tapping as he watched his best friend's eyes run over the menu. It was kinda funny watching her. She always had this distinct look in her eyes when she read over scripts, but any other time, it was absent. To him, she was born to be an actress.

She was born to be a lot of things.

She was a little ditzy like him, a little clumsy like him, creative like him, easy-going like him, generous like him, selfless like him. She was born to be his friend. A small smile tugged at his lips and Y/n glanced up, sticking her tongue out at him childishly. He reciprocated the gesture, his attention only diverting to the waiter that arrived.

"I'll have a peach iced tea and she'll have a. . . um," His eyes quickly scanned the menu before he continued. "A lemonade and strawberry cooler." The waiter took note of their drinks before smiling and promising to be back later. Y/n pouted in Denki's direction as she set her menu down, "I was gonna order my own drink,"

He cocked a brow in her direction, "You hadn't gotten to the drinks section yet." She blinked in surprise, lips slightly parted in shock. "How did you—" The girl didn't get to finish her question as the waiter arrived as fast as he said he would. He set down the drinks briefly before asking about what they wanted.

They both ended up ordering the same thing out of coincidence, the two sharing a small grin afterward. "Ah, they're playing King Princess!" Y/n suddenly sat up, her eyes lighting up as she recognized the song that played in the background of the diner. Denki tilted his head at her, having vaguely heard of the artist because of Y/n.

"What song is this?"

"Talia, one of my favorites," Y/n seemed giddy, her lips shaping a small grin.

His heart hammered in his chest and his smile slowly faltered at his realization. He was right. He was lightweight and all fluttery because he was happy; she was making him happy. He admired a lot of things about her and he had known her long enough for that list to grow endless: the moments she found fell apart in front of him, laughed with him, laughed about him.

Those were just mere glimpses into what he loved about her.

He loved her.

There was nothing more to it.

Swallowing harshly, he decided to let himself live in the moment; to let himself be lightweight and fluttery until the reality of it all came crashing down upon him. At three a.m., in this twenty-four-hour diner that served the best waffles, he would let himself be in love with her for as long as he could.

He watched as her smile only grew bigger, the song slowly coming to an end as his heart thumped in his chest.

I can taste your lipstick, I can lay down next to you
But it's all in my head
If I drink enough I swear that I will wake up next to you

was gonna update earlier but my appointment left me blurry and tired lol.