irl

"OKAY SO—"

"—are you drunk?"

" . . . no, I'm not. And frankly, seeing that both you and Bakugo are caught in a bit of a dilemma, I'll let that comment slide."

PapaHH tapped his fingers on the table of their little breakfast booth. Since he had granted staff and actors alike a bit of a break due to the situation, he had decided to arrange a meeting with Y/n. In his eyes, it was clear that she could get through to Bakugo, and only her alone. "Why don't you text him?"

"He," Y/n seemed disheartened for a bit as she chewed on her bottom lip. "He doesn't respond."

"What a coward,"

"I know right," Y/n offered a sheepish smile.

PapaHH smiled sympathetically at her, "You do realize none of this is your fault? I've seen you two openly interact on set and just. . . nothing matched you two. The playful banter, the arguments, even if I threatened to burn your contracts I'd probably never get to it. Seeing you on set was somehow better than seeing you two on screen."

Y/n flushed at the compliment, merely smiling warmly back in an attempt to make herself calm down. Knowing that others could see their connection only made her feel guiltier for her involvement. He flicked his eyes upwards when a waitress came by, swiftly ordering a coffee and a dozen donuts.

"Do you want anything?"

"No thank you, I'm good." Y/n cleared her throat, shaking her head politely.

It wasn't long before he had gotten what he ordered, his attention diverting back to Y/n.

Y/n watched as PapaHH smoothly fixed his glasses, sighing quietly before taking a sip of his coffee. She eyed him wearily after his last remark on set regarding coffee but didn't bother bringing it up. "Did I ever tell you the story behind the production?" He tilted his head, staring at her quizzically.

She shook her head slowly, watching as the male's eyes brightened. It seemed like he was a little too excited to tell the story. "It's based on my love story with my wife," He smiled. "I had supported her through her career as a nurse, but as soon as we had some financial hardships, the entire relationship nearly fell apart."

"We argued a lot and I became reckless. I didn't bother with completing productions and that only seemed to curse us for the long run. I wish I had been a bit more. . . understanding of the situation. She worked long hours, brought home money for us, and then came home to a practically deadbeat husband."

He chuckled softly, as if not even regretting the fact that he was slandering himself. "And then one day, she just came home with a dog. It was a really smelly Bernese Mountain dog and I remember her cursing me to hell. She said 'if you're going to be reckless, I might as well join you'."

Y/n listened intently, watching as PapaHH silently passed her a donut. She thanked him softly before taking the treat, raising it to her mouth and biting into it. "It took me a while to realize that she only did that because I didn't consider myself or her enough to work for. Having Bean in the family really changed everything; I got motivated to do things again."

"He passed away a year ago after a car hit him and not long after that, my wife got diagnosed with cancer."

Y/n could feel her heart drop and part of her wanted to reach over and hug her director. Would that be considered unprofessional? However, what was even more concerning was the fact that he didn't even look upset. A small smile was on his lips instead. "I want this production to happen and according to her, it's the main reason she's fighting."

"She wants to live long enough to see our love story hit the big screen and then after that. . . she'll rest."

Geez, that makes me feel tons better. Y/n attempted to swallow her own anxiety, nodding understandingly at her superior anyway. PapaHH, as if sensing her uneasiness, smiled. "Do you know why I kept you and Bakugo on set?" She shook her head, taking another bite of her donut in order to keep herself busy.

"You two are perfect. The way you two talk and interact offset, without the scripts, it's a spitting image of me and my wife. And y'know, I have a hunch about how you feel," He studied the female quietly, watching as she tried to distract herself more by taking another donut. He chuckled softly but didn't stop her, moving the donut box closer to her figure.

"You feel guilty for dragging him into this mess, don't you?"

"How did you—"

"—just a hunch." PapaHH would never admit it, but Denki cared about his friend even behind the scenes. Kaminari had been the one that insisted that the director even speak up in the first place and realizing that the blond was in the right, PapaHH had quickly agreed. It made sense that she would listen to her superior on a business and personal level.

"You shouldn't. If he didn't want to drive you, he wouldn't have bothered telling you that his car was nearby anyway. If he didn't want to drink with you, he would've ditched you at the party entirely after you asked him. If he didn't want to deal with your reciprocated attitude, he would've ignored you and treated you worse."

How does he know everything in such detail? Y/n's brows furrowed, her lips briefly parting to ask before he waved dismissively. "Sources," That's all he offered and something told her that's all she'd get out of him. "You're busy feeling guilt and pity for yourself, but you're failing to understand that Bakugo chose to involve himself just as much."

"You can't bear the sins of two people if you've only committed one."

Okay, what anime scene is this? Y/n blinked wildly, looking around for hidden cameras before settling to look at her director again. "Honestly, think about it. If Bakugo hadn't taken so much interest in you in the first place, would he have even bothered to do everything he did? You made him feel safe enough to step out of his comfort zone."

PapaHH suddenly stood up, placing a few bills on the table and smiling warmly one last time.

"Don't forget that."

a lot of irl chapters for a bit 2 help develop the storyline and move onto other arcs. :)