irl

Can u come to [address]? That's what Y/n had texted Denki and in his mind, he had never reacted faster. He had slipped on his shoes, grabbed his keys, and raced out the door. It was rare for Y/n to call over her friends so suddenly, but accompanied with the things he knew she'd been going through, he only hastened his pace further.

When he had finally arrived at the coffee shop, his friend was stiff against a seat, her fingers tapping against a table as a box of donuts sat in front of her. As soon as he slid into the seat, he watched as she reached over to his hands, clearly searching for stability. He didn't hesitate to intertwine his fingers with hers, sympathetically smiling at her.

"Wanna talk about it, babe?"

Denki blinked as Y/n inhaled sharply before speaking up. "I talked to PapaHH earlier; he said that I shouldn't feel guilty because Bakugo made his own decisions too. He even said Bakugo and I are the spitting image of his wife and him," She looked up, her voice cracking ever so slightly.

"If I love him so much, why did I hurt him?"

Denki swallowed harshly, feeling his heart crack at her innocent statement. For a second, he debated on recoiling. He wanted to pull his hands back, go back home, and hide in his bedroom; forever. Still, though, he loved her too much to do that. Instead, he kept his grasp on her hands steady and let a tight-lipped smile shape his lips.

"I ask myself that every day,"

She gazed at him, brows furrowed in confusion. "What?"

"I'm in love with you."

Her heart dropped and so did her jaw, eyes wide. Denki immediately regretted what he said, but pulled through it anyway. She has to know. That's what Sero had told him when he had found out. He had called Denki a coward and then outright told him to confess already; how was Y/n supposed to make a decision when she wasn't given her full options?

"How—"

"—hold up, babe. Let me get to that," Kaminari tried to play it cool, laughing softly to himself. He watched as her gaze softened ever so slightly. "Do you remember prom night?" Y/n blinked at him, nodding understandingly. Denki's heart fluttered at the sight of all her little quirks, seeing her wide eyes blink and nod constantly, like a curious child.

He squeezed her hands. Her eyes darted to their fingers briefly before flitting back to him. "That's when I realized I was in love with you. You made me so immensely happy back then. Fuck that, you have always made me happy. There wasn't a moment with you that I ever hated something, but I regret holding you back."

This only seemed to deepen her confusion. "I joined the cast because I hoped to get closer to you. . . plus I heard rumors that Bakugo was gonna audition for that; he doesn't really tell us when he's signed up for a new role. And based on how he is. . . I didn't doubt for a second that you two would end up liking each other."

"Bakugo tried talking to you earlier too, but I stopped that from happening. I started shit with Bakugo because I was angry and jealous. . . which was entirely on me at the end of the day. Hell, I wrote a song about you." Kaminari sighed, tilting his head towards the table as a heavy sigh left his lips.

Y/n tensed at that, eyes focused on him. "You mean—"

"—yeah. Jealous of Me was written for you; no one else. But I realized something over these months," Denki offered a sheepish smile. "It doesn't matter what I do or how much I persist; you two are practically meant to be. I mean if PapaHH says it then it definitely has a lot of credibility." He tried joking, attempting to veer off from the fact that he wanted to break down and sob.

"I hurt you a lot without you noticing and I still don't get why; maybe because I was scared of letting you get close to someone else? Or maybe because I couldn't handle the idea of getting rejected even if I confessed? I don't know and I probably never will now that I think about it, but that doesn't make my feelings any less true."

"You're my best friend," He squeezed her hands and met her gaze again. Her heart dropped, watching as his eyes glazed over with unfallen tears. "And I fell in love with you." Kaminari let go briefly to recollect himself, wiping away his tears. He laughed again, trying to add humor to the serious conversation.

"But honestly. . . in that stupid little Denny's place on prom night, I had let myself experience it. I let myself be in love with you and sit there in peace because I feared that something like this would happen. So, I let myself be in that moment and just. . . enjoyed it. But that's just a memory and it's time for you to move on, right?"

Y/n noticed how he pulled his hands closer to his chest before letting them drop onto his lap. For a moment, she reached across the table, attempting to regain the feelings of his fingers laced with hers. "Ah, don't do that. Are you trying to cause me more heartbreak?" He tilted his head with a boyish laugh.

"Sorry—"

"—don't be," He cut her off swiftly. His grin seemed more genuine and encouraging this time, a warm look in his eyes. "It's not my fault that you're lovable, right?" Y/n fell silent at that, not knowing how to respond. She took in a breath before replying, "You're still my best friend, right?"

Denki cocked a brow at that before picking out a donut crumb and flicking it at her, watching her scrunch her nose and cover her face in response. "Of course, that's a given." Her entire figure seemed to relax at that statement. Kaminari picked up an actual donut this time, taking a bite. Once he finished, he smiled at her.

"But don't be like me; don't be a coward," He grinned cheekily. He stood up, snatching a few more donuts before tapping the table twice with his injured knuckles. It was stupid but Y/n could practically feel him telling her to be impulsive and confident, just as he had been when his fist connected with Izuku's face.

"Go get your manz, L/n."