⁰²⁹: look at yourself

June 6

June 6

When she woke up in the morning, her body felt odd, and when she stepped into the bathroom and saw her reflection in the mirror... it almost felt as if the person staring back at her, wasn't herself.

Hanae was just as shaken when a man with auburn hair pulled her aside in the kitchen and told her he was Hideo's friend, and that they needed to speak.

She waited for night to come and at three a.m. she slipped out of the house and made the excruciating ten-minute walk towards the farmhands' houses.

Her cheeks burned with shame as she knocked on the door that Kai had told her was their own, her legs nearly gave out beneath her when the doorknob began to turn.

Her heart practically leaped out of her chest when she was met with the familiar blue eyes that kept her up at night. He pulled her into the cold house, and she couldn't help but throw her arms around him and hold him tightly.

Despite her shame she felt tears begin to form her eyes and with her face still buried in his neck, she said, "What are you doing here?"

She heard him laugh and she pulled away before he cupped her face, "I came to get you, why else?"

Hanae shook her head.

"No, but your–your letter. You told me that you left Japan, and you told me that we had to move on, you told me that I wasn't going to see you again," She said, her voice catching in the last part.

Hideo's brows furrowed.

"What are you talking about? I didn't even know where you were staying. I couldn't send you a letter."

"Hideo you wrote me a letter, it had your signature, and even the little drawing on the envelope! Takara brought it to me–"

"Knowing the type of friends you have, I wouldn't be surprised if she faked it," A voice interrupted them, and Hanae turned around to see the auburn-haired man with golden eyes that she'd spoken to earlier that morning.

Hideo narrowed his eyes, "Shut up,"

Hanae's eyes met Hideo's again, "What's he talking about?"

Kai stood up from his chair, "I'm talking about that pink-haired sociopath that kept us locked in an apartment for months, just to keep this idiot away from you."

Hanae's mouth ran dry, and she turned back to look at Hideo.

"What did Mary do?" She asked, pulling away from him.

"Nothing he's just–"

Kai was in front of them now. "Your friend lied and told this idiot that she would find out where you were staying and we just had to sit and wait her out. Turns out she was just trying to kill time and keep us rotting in that apartment for months."