ㅤㅤ⁰¹¹ : but you're not on a date

author's note: thank you for reading this jeanette 😳

December 24

Hanae shifted uncomfortably in her lavender kimono, she had only ever been to summer festivals, where it was common to wear yukatas, she assumed that a kimono wouldn't be too different... she assumed wrong.

She underestimated how much more formal a kimono was compared to a yukata, but no matter how uncomfortable it was, she had to admit that the one her mother had chosen was pretty enough. She didn't wear lavender very often, but the color was growing on her.

Mitsuri had also forced Hanae to wear her hair up in a loose bun and finished it off with a white hairpin to match the color of her belt.

It had been over two weeks since her mother had told Hanae that she had picked out the perfect suitor, but Hanae couldn't understand why her mother had picked a Christmas festival for her to meet with Ritsu Kasanoda after all these years.

Kasanoda was the same age as her, they met when she was only seven years old, but she had always seen him simply as Akise's friend.

Flash forward a decade and that chubby little boy she had known back in elementary could become her husband... if things went according to her mother's plan that is.

"Do you even remember what he looks like?" Takara asked, breaking Hanae away from her thoughts.

"Well, he went to high school with us... but I never saw him." She internally cursed their enormous school. "I knew him when we were kids though, he had red hair and brown eyes, and he's kind of short and chubby,"

"Sounds like a winner," Yuichi Ootori said mockingly, and Hanae caught Takara giving her husband a warning glare.

Hanae sighed, did her friend really have to bring Kyoya's older brother along? It only reminded her of the mistake she'd made.

She shouldn't have slept with him, not when she was supposed to get engaged with Kasanoda.

Akise was supposed to introduce both of them again, but Renge decided to tag along with them, so he'd had fallen behind when they all arrived at the festival.

"I heard a rumor he's a part of the yakuza," Takara whispered nearly stumbling, she was struggling to walk in her light green kimono as well.

"You're not wrong," Yuichi smirked. "He's the next in line to inherit the Kasanoda-gumi group,"

Hanae's breath caught in her throat. She'd heard the rumors, of course, but her brother told her they were all lies.

"Hanae, how are you going to marry a yakuza leader!" Takara whispered looking around the festival to see if she could spot Kasanoda among the crowd.

"I didn't know!"

"How could you not know?" Yuichi said looking down at Hanae as if she were the stupidest person he'd ever met. "How come he wants to marry you anyways? No offense Sasaki, but–"