ㅤㅤ⁰³⁵: marry me!

July 12

July 12

Hideo was listening to music and flipping through an art magazine that Valerie had forced him to read, when Hanae walked into Valerie's hospital room. He felt his heart skip a beat when their eyes met, but he could tell she wanted to run out of the room.

"What... What are you doing here? Where's Valerie?"

"Well I was supposed to leave yesterday, but Valerie's practically got me kidnapped... How's Ootori?" He asked pulling his headphones out of his ears.

Hanae looked behind her shoulder before she closed the door and walked towards him, her face riddled with guilt, "I need to talk to you."

Hideo let out a sigh, he knew what this was about. It was the same conversation they had every day they saw each other back at Ootori's house.

She was going to beg him to leave.

And he would give her the same answer he always gave her, no.

"What is it?"

She looked away, and he could sense the shame she was feeling, but he couldn't understand why.

"You need to leave." She said weakly, her shoulders slumped.

"You're coming–" Hideo stood up from the couch, but she quickly cut him off.

"No, Hideo. You need to leave, you're going to leave right now."

"Hanae, what happened to all those promises you made me? We were so happy, we were–no, we are in love, and now that I can provide for you–"

"I'm pregnant."

Hideo's breath seemed to stop for a second and his eyes went wide.

He had imagined Hanae being pregnant a thousand times over, but this was wrong, it was all wrong. She wasn't carrying his child, she was carrying another man's child, her husband's child.

He opened his mouth but quickly shut it as he looked down at her, at the love of his life.

"You're pregnant?"

He saw the tears begin to form in her perfect eyes, and the disbelief hit him like a bag of bricks against his stomach.

"Hanae, you're pregnant?" He repeated his voice shaking.

"I'm so sorry," She said wiping her tears away before they fell.

He felt as if his world had come tumbling down, and he knew he was being unfair, but he couldn't help himself. "How–How could you get pregnant?"

That's when he felt her arms wrap around him as pull him towards her familiar body.

This was their goodbye, and he knew it.

Before she pulled away, he cupped her face, and in an instant, his lips were against her own. He could feel her gasp in his own mouth as he savored her for the last time before he had to let her go, before she shoved him away, her face crimson-red with shame.