єριѕσ∂є 24

Seokjin opened the door, finding his home neat and tidy. It was obvious that Doctor Kim asked someone to clean it up. The four little cats were snuggling against each other and sleeping soundly with small snores.

He sighed softly. He knew that things were developing beyond his limited imagination. He could neither ignore nor accept them.

The following days were so quiet that his life seemingly came to an end, because Doctor Kim didn't answer his repeated calls. Seokjin intended to invite Doctor Kim for a dinner. Jungkook didn't call him either, and only sent a few short messages expressing tender feelings late at night.

It was four or five days later when he finally went out again. He didn't have any appetite, but he needed to buy fruits and vegetables.

It was windy outside today with snowflakes coming down.

Tightening the scarf around the neck, he was wondering to go home as soon as possible after buying some necessary stuff. He was too preoccupied with his own thoughts to notice a puddle of frozen water on the ground of an alley. He grazed his knees when he fell very hard to the ground.

It was really painful, but Seokjin didn't allow him to indulge in self-pity since he knew that no one cared about him. Silently, biting the lower lip, he picked himself up and collected his stuff scattered all over the ground. He couldn't stand up straight because of the pain in the knees, so he hobbled home slowly with a slightly-bent back.

Seokjin had been used to the loneliness as he lived alone for a long time. The longer one lived alone, the more taciturn one would become. He wasn't born to be like this, but he had experienced too many hurts and separations.

The four little cats grew fast. They had become very familiar with Seokjin and liked to cling to him. Their naughty paws always tickled his arms or neck, making him feel warm in the heart. He was tired, but he didn't forget to prepare a pot of fish soup for them, which was still stewed in the kitchen.

But he didn't expect that Jungkook would come home after 11 p.m. He was a light sleeper, so he was instantly wakened upon the first noise of door opening.

Kicking the Italian cow-leather boots off, Jungkook then threw his woolen overcoat onto the sofa as he always did. Jungkook would never remember to wear a scarf without Seokjin's repeated demands.

"You're back?"

"Why aren't you asleep yet?" Jungkook was surprised with raised eyebrows.

Seokjin came closer to Jungkook, softly held his hand, which was bloody cold, and said, "I just woke up. You didn't tell me that you've returned. You don't want me to pick you up?"

Jungkook came close to him and kissed him on the forehead, "The flight was too late, so I don't want to disturb you. Plus, the temperature at Seoul's winter nights are really low."

Seokjin smiled noncommittally, but he withdrew his hand from Jungkook, said, "The kitchen still has some fish soup left, I'll warm it up for you...."

"Do it later." Jungkook scooped him into his arms and pressed him on the sofa, "Did you miss me? Were you having a good time with cats when I was away?"

Seokjin only shook his head. The expression in his face was always gentle, but no one could ignore his alienation.

Jungkook moved closer to kiss Seokjin lips, but only lightly kissed Seokjin on the cheek as he turned his head away.