єριѕσ∂є 70

The flowers arrived at lunchtime, Taehyung put the chopsticks down and walked to the door.

He didn't order a bouquet but pots of flowers, about thirty pots of jasmine, all blooming. As he helped the seller move the pots into the living from his van, Seokjin stuck his head out and watched.

"Nice flowers." Taehyung paid the bills and returned very quickly. He had been in contact with this flower seller for more than a week, every pot was well checked, otherwise, there would be another ten pots more.

Seokjin was a bit astonished. He watched so many pots of jasmine lining up to the foot of that Phoebe folding screen. The fragrance of blossoms suffused the whole house.

He got up and walked over, his heart touched by a very light poke.

"Do you like them?" Taehyung held Seokjin’s hand in a smile, "There're no blossoms in our garden but we can get some in our room..."

"I like them very much." Seokjin looked at Tae with moistened eyes. He leaned over and gave him a hug. "Thank you."

No one cared about lunch anymore. They sat on the couch. Seokjin stared at the flowers with Taehyung by his side in silence.

"Jasmine was my grandpa's favorite. Jasmines were all over our garden since I could remember," He smiled, he was more than talking to himself than speaking with Taehyung, "The first thing Jungkook said to me was why do I smell so good? I could still remember, the next day, I picked a pocket full of flowers. I put several buds on every cluster in case they lost the fragrance and I dared not to let my grandfather see." It was the first time Seokjin mentioned his and Jungkook's old story. He wasn't being reminiscent or regretful or sarcastic, he was calm and gentle as always.

"At the time, Jungkook was so careful when he looked things up in those pages because he put the flowers everywhere in the book and he cherished them. For a very long time, the strong smell of jasmine was all over our classroom, even on his sport shirt," Seokjin lowered his eyelids, his flicking eyelashes were like butterfly wings, "Every time I went back home, I could smell jasmine from a distance. It was like the guidance on my way home. Back then... it was like the best smell in the whole world to me."

He's eyes dimmed, and his voice told bitterness. "But then the garden was left unattended after my grandpa passed away. No one in my family was willing to take care of those plants."

Taehyung held him in his arms and solaced him with the strokes on his black hair and his back.

"Thank you, Taehyung." Seokjin's sound was extremely light, "I will never forget you... If people's souls do linger after they die, I will trace the fragrance to your garden and living room and I will be your house guardian." The last part was more like a joke.

"I have myself to thank, too. I have spent the luck of my whole life to be with you," Taehyung kissed Seokjin's eyelashes, "I love you... forever."

The two greatest shames in this world: one is the death you cannot resist; the other is the love you cannot own. Taehyung suddenly wanted to cry.

.
.
.

Jungkook had gone back to the company. He worked harder than he ever would, leaving no time to rest for himself, he practically lived in his office. But every lonely night, he would look at his empty office in his leather seat and let his mind wander. He couldn't help thinking about Seokjin.

He slightly stroked the picture of Seokjin in his sleep on his phone and muttered, "Are you... doing fine? I have been taking care of your birthday present... It was an Akita. You cried so hard when you watched the movie, Hachi: A Dog's Tale and you begged me half a month for a puppy... When your operation is finished, you can play with it."

What Taehyung said on Seokjin's birthday pushed him to the edge of his mental breakdown but he made it through eventually. He told himself that it was karma. After everything he had done, he had no right to question anything. He only deserved pain. He still worried a lot when he was over it. Maybe Taehyung tricked or forced him; maybe he hurt Seokjin; maybe Seokjin was too feeble to stand the intensity... Even he didn't break down, he was nearly insane.

Someone knocked on his office door, Jungkook put his phone away and said in a low voice, "Come in."

Assistant Jung walked in with a fluffy creature in his arms. "President Jeon... it has been vaccinated." He was doing too much for him while he was just a business assistant.

"Take care of it these days, please. It's just two months old, it's delicate. I'll take Seokjin to your place to cuddle it."

Assistant Jung stood still, not until the puppy licked his face several times, did he come to sense. He held the dog to his office in a wry smile.

Jungkook got a phone call shortly after his assistant left. He looked at the number, it was Yoongi.

"Yoongi hyung?" Jungkook lighted up a cigarette and asked, "What is it?"

Yoongi sounded a little agitated, "Do you know? Sungwoon... he's dead."

Jungkook went blank. "Who?"

"Lee Eunjoon's lover," Yoongi exhaled hard several times, "I have asked around and I was told he had a severe rejection reaction within half a month, very severe GVHR. He died in operation room... Lee Eunjoon went crazy right away, he nearly beat the head doctor to death. No one could stop him until then Mayor Lee came..." What Yoongi didn't say was that Lee Eunjoon collapsed on the ground, he even ignored his father's arrival. He kept crying, mumbling how successful the operation was and they hadn't got time to take a look at their marriage certificate mailed from the UK...

Yoongi thought of Jungkook right away. If one day, Seokjin was gone... Jungkook would be more desperate then Lee Eunjoon.

"Jungkook. Whatever plan you want me to do, you need to think twice."