єριѕσ∂є 72

Two days of staying up and this empty house drained the last bit of vitality away from Jungkook. But he knew very clearly that he couldn’t fall, at least not now.

He regretted leaving so resolutely, or he could have at least had someone keep an eye on the whole thing here.

Since Seokjin was gone, the most common feeling he would get was helplessness and pain. He recalled more than once the hug Seokjin gave him when he left. He often imagined that if he hadn’t left that day, if he kept Seokjin around, would everything be different by now?

No one could give him an answer.

If someone was willing to tell him, they would ask him this fourteen years ago, “Will you make Seokjin happy if he goes with you?”

They would ask him this four years ago, “Don’t you feel guilty to Seokjin’s true love while you are having fun out there?”

“Do you have a heart of stone? How can you be so cruel to someone that you are supposed to cherish the most?”

If only someone warned him once, he wouldn’t make one mistake after another.

Jungkook was nearly beaten down by guilt and fear. He didn’t even know what to do or what he could do next.

In days, he and Assistant Jung tried every way to find their whereabouts; in nights, he slept in the car, guarding this tea garden where Seokjin once lived.

Day four, there was finally a turnaround. Someone showed up when he was on the verge of a breakdown.

It was Kim Taehyung. He alone. He wore a black long coat with a small luggage bag in his hand. After half a month, he’d considerably lost weight. He was so emaciated that Jungkook couldn’t recognize him.

Taehyung came back in the morning. He took a cab back when Jungkook was still there. Jungkook didn’t think twice. He pushed open the car door hastily and stumbled at him.

“Kim Taehyung! Taehyung, where is Seokjin? Where is Kim Seokjin? Which hospital is he at? Huh? Speak! You are back so who is taking care of him now? Speak!” Jungkook wasn’t in any better state than Taehyung was. He just shot out random questions, his bloodshot eyes looked scary.

Taehyung seemed to just realize Jungkook’s existence. His eyes swept over him emotionlessly. He didn’t have the feeling of hatred or resentment towards him, it was a kind of emotion stagnancy due to the extreme grief.

Taehyung took a grab in the air, he repeated Jungkook’s words to himself, “Where… where is Seokjin?”

Taehyung’s voice was quiet, every sound of him seemed to come out of his mouth with the blood from his torn vocal cord. “He’s gone… in my arms. Little by little, little by little, he became cold…”

Followed by infinite silence. For a moment, Jungkook thought he was deafened, he seemed to hear nothing. He opened his mouth but nothing came out. The whole world was mute only the sound of breezing winds that blew away all the colors in his eyes.

As if someone hit the play button to a paused video, Jungkook suddenly rushed over and clutched Taehyung’s collar. His eyes were red as a crazy animal. He made voices that weren’t even like human voices. His tongue bled as his shuddering teeth were biting it. Every word was spit out with blood and pain, “You are lying to me! It’s a lie! Impossible!

You said he was fine… Didn’t you say that you could take care of him? You are lying, aren’t you? You’ve hidden him away, right? Please… Don’t shock me… please,” Unexpectedly, Jungkook knelt infront of Taehyung, “Say you are lying and you won’t see me ever again! Say it!”

Taehyung pulled Jungkook from the ground and punched him hard. “Is it fun to lie to yourself? Kim Seokjin is gone… He… He’s gone…” Taehyung let go of Jungkook lifelessly. He looked down and saw fluids come out of his eyes. He could hardly control his emotions.

Seokjin died a week ago. Taehyung didn’t even know how he managed to deal with the funeral and documents so calmly. He watched Seokjin turn into a handful of ashes from a sleeping human being without shedding a single tear. He was terrified by his own indifference.

But now, standing once again in this very garden, watching the pool their dog once dropped in and the rocking chair and rug he bought for Seokjin by the second-floor window and the dead jasmines, he felt his heart started to hurt. He unleashed the pain that had accumulated for three days.

The man in front of him asked him, where is Seokjin? And, didn’t you say you could take care of him?

He just couldn’t hold his tears any longer. This was the first time he cried after Seokjin died and here he cried in front of Jungkook.

Jungkook stumbled as he took a step back. He strived to steady himself and sneered. “I don’t believe you… I don’t believe Seokjin would leave me… He, he…” Jungkook thought Seokjin wouldn’t leave this world without giving him one last chance to see him…

Taehyung looked at Jungkook with his venomous cold eyes, he asked Jungkook quietly, “No? Who made him end up like this?”

Jungkook’s body shook as if he was electrified.

“Do you know that Seokjin has left nothing, no dying wish at all, except for his funeral arrangement. Like this world isn’t worth lingering on to him,” Taehyung’s bitter smile was worse than a crying face, “Do you know what he has left in the end, President Jeon?

Only his clothes he was wearing when he just came to Busan, and a bank card with 150,000 won in it!” The last syllable sounded sharp and mean. Taehyung tried to grab Jungkook’s clothes, both of them stumbled. “150,000 won! Couldn’t even afford a decent grave! How cruel of you!”

“He was with you for more than a decade, his body was sick, his heart was hurt. In the end, he couldn’t afford a grave? Tell me, President Jeon, did you spend more than 150,000 won on any of your lovers?!”

Jungkook couldn’t say anything, his lips had turned into dark purple because of the shock, his face dead white. Words clogged up his throat; he coughed blood.

By the time Assistant Jung arrived, Jungkook was alone with his hand on his chest, his clothes covered in blood, muttering, “Someone told me… Seokjin is gone…”

Jungkook collapsed in the end.