Chapter 5: All the MIFTers

"This is crazy. I drop out of college, you graduate from college, and we both end up working at the same place. Cosmic!" Val cheered.

"Well, that's one way of describing it," he said, looked over, and stated, "Hold on, that's a Scare Floor."

"Laugh Floor now," she corrected.

"Right, Laugh Floor," Tylor nodded.

"Beep, beep, beep. I removed the beeper so I could make the sound," Val said with a chuckle as they parked in the elevator.

"Where are we going?" he asked.

"We're going down," Val answered.

"Huh?" Tylor wondered.

"Yeah, after MU, I lived in the Scarribean for a year. Island time. I made wind chimes out of scream shells, didn't sell. All that screaming..." she started.

She demonstrated different screams until the elevator stopped.

"This happens all the time, you just gotta..." Val said, kicked the lever, then continued, "There we go. Then I taught shockra yoga for a while. Found my center. You know what's weird? I was off-center. I was gonna get it aligned, but by that time, I was into competitive eating. So, yeah, now, here I am. Yeah!"

"Whoa, whoa!" Tylor exclaimed.

"Stay in the cart. Almost there. There's no daylight, but you get used to it. These are the transfer pipes. Miles of them. Ooh!" she replied, they dodged one, then she added, "I think there's one..."

They then passed another pipe, which his horns hit.

"Yeah!" Val cheered.

They eventually pulled up to where they needed to be.

"Home sweet home! You head in. I'll park the cart. Beep, beep, beep," Val said as she parked the car.

He went inside to see some monsters just sitting around reading or getting something to drink. Even a pink puffball growled at him.

"Hey, everybody, meet the new guy! Tylor Tuskmon," Val introduced.

"Hi," Tylor waved.

"We were best buds in college," she continued.

"We had one class together," he reminded.

"But it was special," Val pointed out.

"We didn't actually speak. Hi, everyone, just to be clear, I was told this is a temporary reassignment," Tylor said.

"Well, we'll see about that, won't we? I'm Fritz. Oh, they said they were sending over a new MIFTer," the blue monster introduced.

"Sorry, what exactly is 'MIFT'?" Tylor asked.

"What is MIFT?" Fritz gasped.

"Oh, now you've done it," the crab monster said.

She then played music on a stereo while putting a swivel chair up and spinning it as he stood on it.

"Since the day Monsters, Inc. was founded, there has been a need. A need for a dedicated team of mechanics to nurture the intricate machinery that is the very foundation of this factory. No matter how arduous or difficult the repair might be, MIFT is there to tighten the bolts, unclog the pipes, wrench the nut. We embrace it with, uh...We embrace it with..." Fritz explained.

"With unbridled anticipation," the green monster with four eyes said without looking up from his magazine.

"There you go! Unbridled participation of what challenge lies ahead. And at the end of the day, we each say, 'I'm proud. I am proud to be a member of the Monsters, Inc. Facilities Team!'" Fritz finished.