Chapter 12: Initiation

Tylor and Jamie went in to work.

"Hey, guys, that thing out front just now with the winking and the blinking, bird calls, the super weird vibe with my mom..." he started, noticed no one was around, then called out, "Hello? Hello? Anybody?"

"This is weird," Jamie said.

Roto growled at them before they headed further into the MIFT office where the doors closed behind them.

"Young neophyte Handy of duct tape Swift of repair I welcome you to MIFT Yes, MIFT. Since the day Monsters Incorporated was founded, there was a need, a need for monsters behind the monsters. The unsung heroes," Fritz said as the lights came on.

"M-I-F-T!" everyone chanted.

"What is going on?" Tylor asked.

"Probably an initiation, but they didn't disappear for me," Jamie answered.

"If a part breaks, we fix it. If a machine needs maintenance, we maintain it. This elite squad of polished professionals, each of them an expert in their fields. They are the girdles..." Fritz explained.

"'Girdles'?" Tyler questioned.

"Girders," Cutter said.

"Griddles..." Fritz continued.

"'Griddles'?" Jamie asked.

"...upon which the factory stands. And it's a very big factory," Fritz went on.

"Sorry, I'm not sure I..." Tylor said.

"But before we proceed, a few last words from our initiate," Fritz finished.

"Oh, oh. This is an initiation ceremony. Hey, guys, this is all just temporary," Tylor said.

"So...So you're leaving?" Duncan asked.

"In a cardboard tube, most likely. Just like Rodney after that hydraulic press incident. Flat Rodney," Cutter said.

"Coming through!" Val called.

"Behold, you will now signify your readiness for everlasting membership," Fritz declared.

"'Everlasting'?" Jamie and Tylor asked.

"Yeah!" Val cheered.

"Your first sacred tool," Fritz said, with the tool whirring, then continued, "Ah, that's where I left it. Tylor, I beseech you, wrench the nut."

"Uh..." Tylor replied.

"Wrench the nut," Fritz said.

"Wrench the nut," the others chanted.

"What kind of nut are we talking about? 'Cause I have an allergy," Tylor asked, making Jamie giggle at the attempt to get out of this.

"Wrench the nut," Fritz repeated.

"I don't...No, no nuts. I don't want...I want nothing to do with this nut," Tylor said.

"Wrench the nut," they continued to chant.

"Okay, fine, fine, fine. If it'll make you stop chanting, I'll wrench the nut," Tylor agreed.

"Wrench the nut," they continued.

He tried to wrench it, but it came loose and fell down the drain.

"Good enough. You have now endured the ordeal of the nut, and you will cross over into MIFThood," Fritz said.

"I don't wanna cross anything," Tylor objected.

"Young tenderfoot, cross through the door of eternal membership," Fritz continued objected.

"'Eternal.' No, that sounds long," Tylor pointed out.

"Guided by the candle of infinite commitment and be cleansed by the flames of no return!" Fritz declared.

"'Flames'?" Tylor and Jamie questioned.

"I love this part!" Val said.

Then the flames were revealed to be fake, making Tylor and Jamie release the breaths they were holding.

"We used to use real flames. Until Carl took a misstep to the right. Lit up like the sun. Catastrophic, yet beautiful," Cutter explained.

"This is crazy, okay? Your ceremony is crazy. As long as we're throwing out crazy ideas, I got one for you guys. I'm gonna leave," Tylor decided.

"You're on your way to a lifelong membership in MIFT," Fritz replied.

"No! No! No!" Tylor exclaimed as he was pushed onto the conveyor belt.

"Uh guys?" Jamie called.

"Do not feel unworthy! Cross through the door!" Fritz said.

"Cross through the door!" the others declared.

"I don't wanna do this. No, no. No 'door'. No 'cross'. No! No 'eternal'," Tylor refused as he tried to run away from the door.

"Cross over and become...one of us!" Fritz said.

Then the power cut off.

"Oh, another power outage. And just when it was getting good," Fritz complained.

That's when Jamie got Tylor off the conveyor belt.

"You okay?" she asked.

"Yeah," he nodded.

"I swear I don't remember all of that for initiation other than wrenching the nut," Jamie promised.

"Good to know," Tylor remarked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Well, that was crazy.