Chapter 73: No One's Fired!

After they cleaned up, they looked at Fritz to hear what he had to say, even though they already knew.

"Well, accounting has asked me to cut a member of our MIFT staff due to budget cuts. I couldn't bear to see any of you go. You're my family. So, just like Vendy was old and broken and had to go, I guess I'm old and broken and...I have to go, too," Fritz explained.

"You're...You mean, you're..." Val started.

"I'm retiring," Fritz finished for her.

"You're retiring!" Duncan said excitedly then corrected in a sadder tone, making Jamie roll her eyes, "I mean...You're retiring? Oh, sad, sad day."

Then the phone rang.

"Excuse me. That's probably Monsters Resources calling about my last day," Fritz said then left.

"This isn't right. Fritz is the most generous and kind monster I've ever met. I'm the one that should go, not him," Tylor told them.

"No, no. Don't sell yourself short, College Boy. As your new supervisor, I'll go easy on ya," Duncan smirked.

"Good news, good news, everybody! Morale is up, so productivity is up, so accounting is cancelling the budget cups!" Fritz announced happily.

"You mean budget cuts?" Val asked.

"Those, too!" Fritz added.

"So you can stay?" Jamie wondered.

"I can stay!" Fritz answered.

"You can stay!" Tylor cheered.

"All right!" Cutter hollered.

"But you don't have to! I mean, are you sure, sir? I mean, you know, think about all the gardening, huh? Travel discounts, the pickle ball tournaments! Come on!" Duncan said desperately.

"I'm sure, Duncan. None of us MIFTers are goin' anywhere. Though..." Fritz started, sighed, then finished, "We still lost Vendy."

That made Tylor think of something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Whatcha thinking, Ty?