Chapter 6: Not Into This

"Look, I get it. First impressions, everybody seems a little bit crazy, right? Down here where there's no daylight and the repetitive din of machinery is forever hammering into your brain. But look, the MIFT team, they mean well, all right? You're gonna warm up to 'em, I promise," the green monster with four eyes explained.

"I don't belong here," Tylor started with the green monster joining him at the end then exclaimed, "Yeah. Exactly!

"You and me, we see eye to eyes," the green monster said.

"It's nice to finally meet somebody who gets it. I'm sorry, I didn't get your name," Tylor smiled.

"Oh! Hey, sorry. The name's Duncan," the green monster introduced.

"Hi, Duncan," Tylor greeted.

"But people around here refer to me as 'Deputy Supervisor.' You know why? Because when Fritz retires or dies, I'm takin' his job. You can forget your little "college boy" plan..." Duncan started.

"Wait, what?" Tylor questioned.

"...of waltzing in here and taking what's rightfully mine, you understand?" Duncan continued.

"There's no..." Tylor started.

"I'm onto your scheme," Duncan interrupted.

"I have no interest at all in Fritz's job," Tylor claimed.

"So that's how you wanna play the game?" Duncan asked in suspicion.

"Honestly, no games. I'm not playing a game," Tylor assured.

"I'm just a pawn in the way of you becoming king. A little itty-bitty pawn that's knocked off the board. Ping!" Duncan taunted.

"What? No, no pawn. There's no ping! Nothing's pinging," Tylor promised.

"I'm onto you. I'm onto you," Duncan repeated.

"Okay. So if there's nothing else, I'm gonna..." Tylor replied, about to leave.

"Onto you. You," Duncan continued.

When Tylor got back, the other MIFTers had a sign put up that said "Welcome David". Jamie watched from her desk, which was close to Banana Bread's.

"Okay, I give up. Who's 'David'?" Tylor asked.

"You are! I didn't have enough time to make a new sign," Fritz answered.

"Oh, David. David got his horn caught in the door track, was pulled into a shredder shaft, never saw him again. I did find some hair. We keep it in a jar next to the memory candle. Good ol' Davey. I miss you, buddy. I miss ya," Cutter said, looking at the picture and hair clump of David.

"I was his uncle figure, too," Fritz said.

"I can't find the words to tell you all how much I appreciate being a part of this whole MIFT cult-thing you've got going on here. In fact, you guys all just stay here. Don't follow me. I'll go get the appreciation donuts," Tylor told them then left.

But Jamie could tell what was really going on.

"You know what? He might need some help with those donuts," she stated.

"But he said to not follow him," Fritz said.

"I've known him for a long time. It should just be me. You guys stay here and I'll take care of this," Jamie replied.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Let's see if Jamie can help Tylor out.