Chapter 1 - Not Mean Girls

This isn't Mean Girls.

This isn't Heathers.

This was just your average high school... Well, average could be a stretch.

New York's School For The Specially Gifted

Or the long abbreviation of NYSSG. It was prestigious, high class, technologically advanced and... pretentious. Everyone was either loaded, on a scholarship or royalty. Hell, apparently there were gods!

Your life was nothing compared to these students; you weren't loaded, no one gave you scholarship, and you sure weren't royalty. All you were was some kid who got caught using magic by some SHIELD agent.

Seriously? SHIELD? What kind of stupid-

"We're here." Agent Coulson, the man who caught you. If you had been more careful- if you had just refrained from trying to steal that pastry you would be at home in the comfort of your bed.

Not that you usually would steal, it's just that you didn't have enough for lunch that day.

Located on the outskirts of New York it wasn't more than a small bed, small bathroom, small closet and small desk. Kitchen on the verge of turning to dust, the only thing working was the fridge where you piled in leftovers from your shifts at the restaurant.

How you landed a job in such a place? Who knew? It was elite, 5 stars and over priced.

Truffle topped olive for $500! Maybe that was an exaggeration, maybe not. The food was good nonetheless, but you only got extra dishes either sent back due to the slightest green bean out of place or the wrong sauce on the fish.

Money wasn't the biggest problem, it got you through life for 5 years after leaving home. The previous school you attended had students with less than you. A small majority were close to the 'poorest' in NYSSG.

Now, you just set the bar low enough for the rich kids in your old school to surpass the previous economic statistic in NYSSG.

"Just do good, okay? I'll pick you up after school and bring you back,"

"Back where? My apartment? Or some cell in 'SHIELD'?" You air quote.

"We're doing this for your good, Y/n," Phil sighs. "We can't let m- gifted children-"

"If you want to say monster just say it, Coulson," you snap, looking up from your palms with a scowl.

"Mutant was what I was going for, but your magic is neither from enhanced testing or a mutation," his sympathetic smile made you deepen the disgust.

"I was fine where I was. I was fine doing what I did. I had a good life and this-"

"Is better than the other option," he tapped along the car control panel to reply to some sort of message.

"And what was the other option? Death?" No answer was given making you push open the car door and slam it shut, walking through the large iron gates, many students watching you with raised brows, upturned whispers lining their tongues.

18 years majority in your year, legal adults and therefore boosting egos. Seniors held the power, and despite being one you were at the bottom of the food chain. Younger years saunter past, not caring who you were and snickering at the clothing you wore.

"I bet they shop at Walmart," a few girls giggle, their boyfriends laughing along as arms slung over them.

"At least I don't own knock off Prada," you hum in amusement when they gape, the girl hiding her bag as her friend pestered for truth. Fitting on the only thing to block out the world and provide much needed comfort, you pass through the large halls with eyes focused on the office you had visited two days before, music drowning everyone out.

Each locker had some sort of screen attached to the sleek metal which opened from a simple finger print. Inside was decked out to personal liking, some kept it simple, others had weapon selections, a fair few had a mini fridge stacked with food.

Eyes down. Be invisible. Stay quiet.

Blend in but bite back if they bark.

"Hey, Tony, check out the new kid," Clint nudges his friend with a smirk.

"Should we give them a little introduction?" The boy nudges only for Natasha to turn up. "Christ! Damn, you're quieter than a mouse,"

"If you torment them, by the end of the day you won't have hands," she hums, the two paling and nodding quickly.

"Go far!" Sam yells to Bucky who flips him off, metal shining in the light which you catch a glimpse of. Your eyes dart along the golden lining until he flickered his gaze to you.

"Steve, who are they?" Bucky asks his friend who catches the Football just in time.

"Who knows? Maybe they're in one of our classes," he shrugs before saluting politely to Nat, ignoring the two guys beside her. "I need to catch up with Peggy,"

"Go get her, lover boy," Sam cheers, turning to Bucky, "Where's Rose, you know, the one you won't shut up about?"

"Right there," Bucky smiles at the sight of the girl, ignoring Sam's comment. "Have fun, lonely boy," he grins as Sam catches the ball after bouncing it back against the soldier's head.

The crowding halls seemed somewhat less from the width but for some reason students still chose to stand in the way. Slipping through with a dark scowl against your features, ignoring the occasional pointed laughs and comments and stares.

This was going to be a very long day- and a very long senior year.

~~~

Another AU? Yes

Another AU? Yes

And first Gen neutral!reader (tbh Another universe is meant to be a GN reader but I don't have time to edit it from fem to GN

- Anna ❤️