Chapter 16 - Front door

"Yeah... not the nicest, but it's what I can afford," shrugging a little, you gesture around for her to fulfil any curiosity.

"Did you not want us to see where you lived because you're not happy with it?" She then replays her words. "Not that there's anything wrong! I just meant-"

"I know, I know," you calm her. "Yeah, not really much compared to castles and towers,"

"I like it," she runs her hand over the handmade blanket—Mrs K's first birthday present for you. "Reminds me of my home in Sokovia... before the wars and all,"

"Yeah... I heard about that," you clear your throat. "Tony's dad?"

"I forgive him, it was before he was aware of it all," Wanda shrugs. "Tony means well- he sure doesn't agree with his father's ways but what can you do at this age?"

"Not enough," you look at Luna who was muttering about which box of goodies was best to share with everyone.

"How long have you been living alone?"

"Since I was 13," you walk into the bathroom to change as she kept walking around.

"Your parents? Why were you allowed to live alone?"

"Haven't spoken to them in five years, don't want to," you fix your hair, "Mrs K found me sleeping in an alley down the road, took me in, helped me rent this place out as long as I helped her out whenever she needs,"

"That's very sweet of her,"

"It was," opening the bathroom door, you see Luna finally rush up with a box. "Share, okay?"

"Yup!" She salutes, running to the window.

Following with Wanda, a glance was given to the framed photo of the woman surrounded by other kids. "I still owe Mrs K so much even if I've paid back everything she's loaned me,"

~~~

"Finally!" Pietro runs up to the ladder that Wanda and you slide down with Luna. "That woman is so scary,"

Both look to see Mrs K scolding Tony and Clint. Luna runs past, shouting for other kids while you give a small boxed meal to Mrs K. "I'll be back as soon as possible, okay?"

"You act as if I'm about to die," she smacks your head lovingly... oddly enough. "Go,"

"Tommy! One only!" You glare at the sneaky child.

"Fine!" he tosses the packet to Alice who gives a smile as thanks.

"Damn kids," you scoot back into your seat in the car. "What?" You see Tony staring through the reader view mirror as Nat looked back from the passenger's seat.

"There's a front door you know? Why did you take the fire escape?"

"Front is always filled with shady people and all that crap, I use the back to get in so the kids don't see it when they want to hang out," you says simply, "they shouldn't see that shit at this age... only time I go through there is to give in my rent,"

Loki glances away from the array of words to focus on you. Your small fiddling, phone case popping in and out of place while you stare out the window, had started to annoy him. "Stop that,"

"Shut up, greaseball,"

"Then stop it," he turns his head to you, watching your face fall. "You know, this morning my mother baked a fresh batch of those golden desserts you love so much, ones you had last time," Loki focus' on the novel again, but it seemed to words blurred, "I had to tell her you liked them, she wouldn't stop pestering me for an answer,"

"Is that right? Well I'm glad you noticed, because I didn't say a thing about them," laughing when he smacks you with the book, you return it with a smack to his head. Over and over you both break out into a full fight until there was a loud sound of electricity ripping through.

Not Thor.

Natasha's taser.

"You both better stop fighting like toddlers or you're getting tased in places electricity should not go near," her words were venom, and undoubtedly a promise.

"Yes, ma'am," you salute just as Tony's car pulls into the driveway.

"Oh, here they are," Frigga hurries down the steps, wiping her hands against her apron. "Loki, Thor, the Allfather wishes to speak to you both in his study, I will lead them to the garden,"

"Yes, mother," the boys bow their heads, hurrying off.

~~~

"Thor, Loki, my sons," Odin puts down a bit of parchment and quill. "We have to discuss a few things regarding your future in power,"

"Father, have we not agreed to wait for school to conclude, then we shall pick a suitor?" Thor steps forward.

"I did agree to that, yes, but time ticks away quickly, I may not live long enough to see one of you take the throne," Odin walks around his desk to the boys.

"I doubt-"

"Thor, you shall take the Asgardian throne, Loki shall take Jotunheim's, but we are still in need for connections to the other realms," he cuts off Thor. "Thor, I have princesses from Alfheim to Muspelheim waiting to court you!"

"Father, please-"

"And Loki, I have princes and princesses from just as far waiting to court you too!" Odin huffs in confusion. "Do you wish not for these willing suitors?"

"No, I think Loki and I both see it fit for our affairs in regards to marriage to be anything but arranged," Thor stood up, stepping in front of Loki who watched as it all unfolded.

"If I may," Loki takes one step forward, "Allfather, I speak openly in thanks for your efforts, but if you would... give us the rest of the year to decide whether these suitors fit the requirement for the future of both realms..." he waited and waited for the answer of 'no' but was met with great relief.

"Very well..." Odin's stern demeanour shrunk the dark haired boy even more, "one year to decide a suitor connecting one realm with the ones you have been promised,"

Promised... Loki's mind whirled with hatred and spite, feeling it fuel a burning disdain for the future. He would spend the rest of his life on that frozen wasteland, isolated more than usual... with a partner no more willing than he. Knowing Odin, these suitors were forced into this as much as he.

"Look over their files, and narrow your thoughts," Odin passed out two large stacks of profiles. Asgardian royalty's personal Tinder: parchment and quill style. "You are dismissed,"

~~~

Literally exhausted :3

- Anna ❤️