Chapter 9 - Casket

Later that night, right after your shift, you were stuck into books Frigga had lent you. Warm glow of your study lamp, the single apple in your hand, pages flicked over and over. Horns were ringing from down below, but you gave it no mind, looking up to glance at the skyline. Pollution just slightly visible as the stars were dimmed by the light below.

"Jotuns," you murmur in contemplation.

Their jeweled eyes and sky blue skin were something of fairy-tales. Though, to be fair, Norse gods were something of fairy-tales no too long ago, along with magic and super strength. Speed up to 4091 m/s was something only possible with vehicles, not humans, and jumping from universe to universe was only in children's wildest dreams.

But here they all were; deities, enhanced twins, super soldiers, and a part-time writer who seemed to bring works to life. Teens creating elements to save their lives, placing a mechanism in their chest. Assassins which could kill anyone at any time. A sorcerer only learning after an accident. A human with spider abilities- did he lay eggs??

"Of course he doesn't," you laugh, looking to the window sill where there was a small spider. "Does he?"

~~~

"Thor," you slam your books down by the god who was eating his lunch hungrily.

"Y/n!" Thankfully he covered his mouth when talking.

"What can we do for you?" Steve looks slightly taken aback by your presence.

"Thor can do something for me; none of you are capable enough," sitting down hurriedly, you open the book up. "The Casket of Ancient Winters was brought to earth in 965 A.D. by Laufey, right?"

"Yes...?" He drags on in confusion.

"Then brought back to your father's vault to be kept safe?" You nod when he does. "Right, so, what happens to a freezer without electricity?"

"It goes... warm? What are you talking about?" Sam tilts his head.

"The Casket is electricity, and Jotunheim is the freezer. You can't put ice in a warm freezer or it melts-"

"Well, the Jotuns aren't dead or extinct-"

"But Jotunheim is dying... what if the Jotuns are too? Has anyone checked?" you reason. "The books don't say anything about Jotunheim after the war, but I need to know if the land is still thriving the same as it was with the casket,"

"It's not," Loki was stood behind you. "The ice melts by the very day and the people are hardly able to survive,"

"If they are hardly able to survive without the casket, then we need to find some sort of energy source similar to the casket to help replicate the ice," you stand up quickly. "If we figure this out we could provide a self-sustaining energy source for Jotunheim! If your father-"

"He's not my father," Loki snaps. "And leave those creatures alone, they are at fault for the war and misuse of the casket, they shall suffer for it,"

"That's a bit harsh, don't you think?" You look slightly annoyed at him. "Laufey just made the wrong decision, but I'm sure his son would make a great ruler when he takes the throne,"

"Son? How did you-" Thor was cut off when you put down one book with a family tree open.

"There's a son, Laufeyson," you point to a picture-less part of the tree, no name to help. "He would be about our age if you convert Jotun age to human age," glaring at Loki, you shove the book into his arms. "Try doing some research like the rest of us, Friggason,"

"Hear that? Laufeyson would make a great ruler in their eyes," Thor looks up to his little brother who's breathing was deep, jaw clenched and eyes slightly weary.

"Frost Giants are disgraces, no being should be proud of a Jotun heritage, or to be related to such a monster like Laufey," Loki whispers out harshly, walking off with the book.

~~~

"Mx L/n," Dr Pym had found you in study hall the next day, he held up a small sheet of paper for you. "Mr Rocket and I have seen that you're not exactly engaged with clubs and I took it upon myself to give a list,"

"Sir, with all do respect, I am perfectly fine without a club to join as if it would make me feel more included,"

"Told ya," Mr Rocket walks out from behind a bookshelf. "Listen, kid, just sign up to a club, maybe one of these," he points to the last three. "They hardly have anyone in them, all during lunch, and if you go once then I'll tick you off for going every single week," he raises both brows expectantly at the deal.

"Which has the least amount of people?"

"This one," he points to a club titled ' The 'Learn, Grow, and Be Tough' Club'. "Stupid name, they need something more catchy,"

"Sign me up," you smirk, understanding the name.

"Perfect, it's this lunch time anyways, so just go to room MU1.3,"

"Cool, cool, cool, cool, cool," you hum, watching them walk off before collecting your things for lunch.

~~~

Knocking twice on the door, the members all looked up to see you enter. Mr Rocket was right, there was hardly anyone. Only three people in fact; Anna, Strange and a girl in the far back corner.

She had the most gorgeous eyes, smoothest skin and darkest hair. Her clothing was mainly leather; pants, jacket and gloves. In her hands was a book but the stare from her green eyes made you nervous, she was stunning with heeled boots propped up on another seat, demeanor laid back.

"Y/n? What are you doing here?"

"I'm part of the club, The Raccoon forced me," slinging your bag down against a seat, you look to the pair. "So... what do we do?"

"Do you know what this club is for?" Stephen looks you up and down, pushing Anna away slightly when she props her legs up on his lap.

"Horribly done cover name for a gay club," you sit down on a chair backwards. "So what do we do?"

"Be gay, do crime," Anna snickers only for Strange to glare at her. "He's not so amused by my antics,"

"Evidently... I'll happily be gay and do crime with you... or just be gay with you," you wink.

"We have another flirt in the club," Anna smiles.

"Oh, joy," Strange rolls his eyes, opening his small journal to read up on another spell.

"Don't mind him, he's not fond of new people either... but if he bothers you just tell me," Anna crosses her legs on the chair. "We pretty much just do what we want, from time to time some of us will rant about things, family problems and all but most of the time we just do our own thing,"

"Cool..." you couldn't help but flicker your eyes to the girl again, her eyes never leaving, observing or judging, you couldn't quite tell.

Anna slowly looked between you two, nudging the sorcerer quickly. "Ow- Ow! What??" He snaps at the writer.

"Come on, we have that thing to do- uhh make out or whatever," before he could question her seriousness with a deep blush, Stephen was dragged out the room, leaving solely you and the stranger in the room.

~~~

Love using my breaks between classes to research for fanfics- cuz it's actually so in depth it looks like I'm doing research for certain courses- 💀

- Anna ❤️