Chapter 17 - Matchmaker

"Thank you, your majesty," you take the plate of dessert from her hands, laying it among others; the table you sat at alone stretched out along the gravel patch of land, bound in white lace cloth with padded seats.

"Now, Y/n, I told you to call me Frigga, none of that royalty nonsense," she watches the others roam the garden in curiosity. "You weren't willing to come here were you?"

Her question struck you unprompted. "No, not quite," putting down the dessert you wipe your lips with your sleeve, "I had work but it seemed they wanted to study with me- and hell, my manager said I should go,"

"They want to befriend you, Y/n," she settles in the chair beside you.

You hum unconvinced. "They don't actually want anything to do with me, they're just being nice to seem nice to others,"

Her tongue clicks in amusement, "if I had a dime for every time I heard that, I'd have two... which isn't a lot, but it's odd it happened twice,"

"And who else said that?"

"Loki," she pinches your cheek softly, "now eat up, study hard, and no matter what, as long as you've done your best, that's all that matters,"

"They're back," Nat calls to the others.

"Is that study shit?" Clint grabs a slice of cake from many variations.

"Sure," Loki sneers, tossing it on the table, his mother eyeing the parchment.

"Are you not pleased?" She frowns.

"Sorry, mother, I doubt anyone would be ecstatic with the news of an arranged marriage," the mischievous god peers at one of the profiles and scowls.

"The Allfather and I have selected only the best, Loki,"

"Now is not the time for this discussion," he sighs, waving her off.

Frigga understood, but at least both of them were able to make a choice of sorts. She only wanted the very best for them. "Perhaps your friends can help," were her last words before walking away.

"Yeah, why not play matchmaker for Greaseball?"

Loki sinks in his seat while Thor happily showed his friends the options given. "Could we please focus on what we came here to do?"

"Liven up, Loki, I'm sure we can find someone just as bitchy as you," taking a scroll in your hand, you unravel it, "Duke Veron of West Vanaheim? He enjoys bilgesnipe hunting in the mornings and horse racing in the evenings,"

"I think not," he grumbles, head burrowing into the crook of his elbow as Wanda took another parchment.

"Princess Eudora, North of Alfheim? She-"

"Yeah, not in a million years," Loki holds a hand up.

Peter then took another parchment as Vision and Bruce scan over the options, muttering about the most fitting suitor. All of them seemed to disregard the test, looking at the royalty and highly regarded people their age from beyond Earth.

"This is becoming useless," you put down the parchment you were looking over. "I don't know you type so how could I find your match?"

"For the better, it seems. I must remind you that I'm not eager for a conclusion," he summons a pen, writing his notes down.

"Nope," you tsk at him, taking the pen. "Come on, what do you look for in someone?"

"Whether or not they're quiet and respect my wishes to study," he snatches it back, collecting his things in a flurry of magic which floated behind. Loki proceeded to walk off, your determined self not giving up.

"$20 says they fuck," Tony hands money over to Nat which sets off a flurry of bets.

~~~

"Will you quit following me?" Loki glares back, boots against the velvet red carpets lining marble staircases.

"No," you hurry up after stopping your admiration of the moving gold vase, stories drifting by against the smooth kiln finish. "This place is huge..."

"You should see the actual palace," down hall after hall, eventually you end up in front of a room. 'KEEP OUT' plastered in front of the door along with a sign saying 'KNOCK FIRST'.

"Someone doesn't like the be disturbed," you hum, watching him push the door open, leaving it open for you to enter as well. "I feel special,"

"Annoy me any longer and I'll throw you out the window," his mockingly sweet smile was matched with your tongue stuck out at him.

His room was simplistic yet full of all sorts of things to fixate on. Shelves upon shelves of books, alphabetically ordered in each category. From Young Adult to Asgardian Classics, he had it all; you almost wondered why he went down to the library for books. An oak desk to match the two oak bedside tables, the hickory finish complimenting the king sized, four poster bed frame. Green silk sheets, patterned like that of the wallpaper running along three of the four walls.

Finally looking to him again, Loki was sat on the window bench looking out to the garden. "So... your type?"

"Are we still on this?" he glares up from his notebook. "My type isn't a problem here... it's the pressure of actually getting married,"

"How soon?"

"As soon as school is over," Loki pulls his knees up to his chest, a frown settling. Cast out still on the group below, you step towards him, instead settling on his bed. "Don't try and pity me,"

Scoffing, you shoot back, "I'm not going to pity you," spreading your fingers against the perfect silk, you couldn't help but envy him instead. "I've gotten a fair share of that in my life time, it doesn't do good,"

"No, it doesn't," the young prince sets eyes to your reflection in the window, taking one breath before exhaling quietly, head now tilted down to the notes in hand.

~~~

Not me waking up at 7 am to publish this chapter- and yeah don't worry I'm going back to bed now lol

- Anna ❤️