Chapter 4 - Dinner service

"How was your first day of school?"

"Shit," landing on your couch with a scowl, you see his reflection in the shut off TV. "Why did you do this?"

"You have powers, L/n. Magic which we don't know the range of- it is the best for you-"

"For me or those around me?" Eyes darted to him properly. "Most send their kids there so they follow their footsteps, others so they have a good education around those like them... but you force me to go so I don't cause a shit show,"

"If you put it like that then it sounds bad,"

Huffing in disbelief, you move your feet to your closet and take out your uniform. "Listen, I appreciate you trying to keep me in check, but I'll be fine in my old school, one year and I'll be your average everyday citizen!"

"But you can be so much more, L/n,"

"Is that it then? Not only do you think I'll try and take over the world but you want to recruit me for some big shot avenging team?" When you see him nods, your eyes roll, "forget about it, I'm not going back there-"

"You have to," he holds out a small letter. "Pierce isn't the most... accepting of those able to do more than he could imagine,"

Each word was glossed over, landing on the bed when you laugh. "So, if I don't follow this I'll be locked up like some kind of criminal??"

"That's a nice way to put it," he walked to the door. "Trust me, not my choice, but it has been approved by many world leaders... not about you but about any so called specially gifted child,"

"Other than not being locked up, what do I get out of this?"

"An education? A chance to help the world out?" He glances to a small photo frame with Mrs K, the rowdy kids and you, the one of few photos in the flat. "Maybe even get friends your age,"

"Thanks,"

~~~

"Chef Bjorn!" You yell into the kitchen where very had arrived to set up for dinner service. "Sorry, I got caught up in pedestrian traffic,"

"Y/n, you're always early, calm down," he dusts his hands with flour before kneading the pasta dough.

"Early is on time, and on time is late, Chef," you slide to his side and start to help prep as the rest started to arrive within the next half hour. Setting the tables up as quickly as possible, you pass by the other waiters, nudging them playfully and telling jokes just like any other day.

"So, how's school?" Diana, the general manager, asks.

"It's good,"

"What's wrong?" She immediately picks up.

"Uh... just a lot of pressure, but don't worry, I'll be the same as every other day," you grab your note book and hold both thumbs up. "I'll open up-"

"Guys!" Tiana, another waitress, rushes in with a gleam. "The Norse gods are here!"

"Please, tell me Thor is here," the boy tasked with dish washing looks desperately out the main window.

"And his brother Loki," a few roll their eyes as others rush to take a glance.

"Oh, for fuck's sake," you groan quietly.

"I dibs!" They all start shouting which caused Bjorn to catch everyone's attention with a butcher knife against wood, Diana speaking up in his place.

"Y/n will wait them, because I know they will not fawn like a middle school child," she orders, pointing for you to greet as she assigned the other waiters different tables.

"This could not get any worse,"

~~~

"Hello, I'm Y/n, I'll be your waiter for tonight," with the best fake smile you could muster and the internal cringe rising up, you see Thor and Loki snap their heads up. "Could I get you started off with a drink?"

"We would like a bottle of wine, do you have any recommendations?" The woman asks.

"Well, I'm not able to drink, but the head chef recommends Adrianna Vineyard's 2016 Malbec, quite a bit actually," you chuckle making her smile brighter.

"Yes, that will do fine," the man hums, furrowing his grey brows at the menu items.

"What about you two?" Frigga asks the boys who couldn't stop staring.

"Ginger ale," Thor quickly says, blinking a few times then giving you a smile, obviously the sweeter one of the brothers.

"Iced tea,"

"Wonderful, I'll be back with the drinks then I'll take your order," you click the pen and hurry off as the boys stare.

"So, you two seem to be slightly entranced," Frigga hums with a grin.

"If you want to win their affections, you must fight for it," Odin grumbles, adjusting his eye patch.

"No, no, father, mother," Thor laughs. "Y/n is the new student in our school,"

Now this caught both parent's attention. "A waiter?" Odin furrows his eyes, "what gift?"

"Sorcery, only recently transferred... Apparently, under some sort of SHIELD supervising," Loki mumbles mundanely, glaring at you from across the restaurant.

"Would only expect that, no one could afford that school with what's paid from working here," the king puts down the menu and clicks his fingers which you catch sight of. "At least they aren't slow,"

"Be nice, Odin," Frigga scolds. "These are people too,"

All he does is huff, not bothering to give you any proper acknowledgements while you place down the drinks, pouring the wine just right—to his dismay. "So, have you all thought about what to order?"

They all placed their orders, your ear catching every word, repeating it back perfectly--yet again, to Odin's dismay. "I'll get those right to you-"

"My dear," the queen suddenly quips before you could leave.

"Did I miss something?" You take your pen out again.

"Well, I would just like you to order something for yourself, we'll happily pay for it,"

"Frigga," Odin does a double take.

"Mother," crinkles appear on Thor's forehead as Loki sighs.

"What? I'm sure we can buy a lovely dinner for such a good waiter," she smiles fondly.

"That's very sweet of you, your majesty, but I assure you that's not needed, I get dinner provided during my break anyways," you place a hand on your chest and laugh, appreciating her kindness. "The only thing we can really accept from customers is a tip, definitely not an expensive dinner,"

"A tip?" The couple seemed more than confused.

"We don't usually have dinner out, and Asgard doesn't have a tipping system," Thor whispers apologetically.

"Oh! Don't worry about it, it's a sum of money, usually about 15-20% of the total bill, but don't worry so much," you step back and raise the notebook. "I'll get your order as soon as it's ready,"

~~~

Can't believe I have to wake up at 7 for uni classes at 10:30

- Anna ❤️