Chapter 20 - Rooftop

There it was, the neon sign of Mrs K's shop in the dead of night, hardly any movement besides the usual shady business. Not that you couldn't handle yourself but seeing as Luna was in the flat, coming home bruised and bloody was not ideal.

"Thanks for dropping me off," when your fingers loop around the handle, you hesitate. "Did you want to come in for a drink? It's pretty late," why were you getting your hopes up?

In fact, it wasn't that late, but with one more hour in your company it could possibly be. "I don't see why not," he wasn't so trusting of leaving his car so open to the elements so once locked, he shot a spell over it. "Protection spell, if you want I can teach you,"

"Mhm, if I need to improve mine then I'll  definitely go to you first," a spark hits his nose. "Come on,"

~~~

Seeing James passed out on the couch while the kitchen lights were on, you were hesitant whether to be worried or calm. However, there she was, the little ray of sunshine; Luna was making herself some hot chocolate, using an old box as a way to reach the cabinets.

"What are you doing up, little miss?"

She jumps in fright, "you scared me!" She whisper shouts, leaping off the box and hugging your legs. "James was too tired from work today, he says he needed some adult soda and cartoons,"

"How many did he have?" You kneel down to her height as Loki peers around.

"Just one! But don't worry, he got me dinner and we watched the Adventure Time and we also watered the plants!" She points to the dying one on the window sill. "It will grow, it's just a little sad,"

"Good job," you pat her head. "Now, let's get you to bed, okay? After you finish this," making sure she didn't spill her drink was the first priority, James was the second. "Mind putting her to bed?"

Loki finally tuned back, nodding a little, "I think I'll be capable," he kneels down, "my name's Loki, nice to meet you Luna,"

"Nice to meet you too," she greets, holding back her yawn. Her small hand takes Loki's after he removes the wobbly mug in hers. The two trudge down the hall slowly, Luna leading the way to your bedroom.

"James, you idiot," a pillow lands smack centre against his face, the man jolting up rapidly. "Thanks for looking after her,"

"Mhm, no problem," he clicks his fingers, "I'm just gonna sleepy night-night right here," James curls back into the couch without hesitation.

"You do that," bundling a blanket over him, you grab a quick bite from the fridge as well as two sodas.

"Well, yes," Loki finished braiding Luna's hair, "I'm neither a man nor woman, I'm-,"

"Just Loki," she smiles up at him, "right?"

"Exactly, thank you for understanding," Loki took her empty mug to set aside. "You're very bright for your age, Luna,"

"Everybody should be happy," she crawls under the duvet, the extra blanket scrunched in her hands, fluffy space grey and softer than a cloud. "You can be who you want and love who you want," she mumbles quietly.

"Very right," he tucks her in properly. "Goodnight,"

"Night," she was off within seconds, dreams drifting into her mind while you finally made your presence known.

"You're good with kids," holding out the can to him, he takes it while closing the door, "usually it takes an hour to get her to bed,"

"Give one Asgardian bedtime story and any child will be fast asleep instantly," down the hall and back to the living room. He eyes James for a moment, looking between you and him. "So... James?"

That was an interesting reaction. "Jealous?"

"Oh, yes, very. Who wouldn't want to be... him," Loki uses his magic to close James' drooling mouth.

"Come on," from the fire escape, a path to the perfect view was unraveled.

Not a million dollar view, but from the right point along the brick wall edge, you could see the skyline. That skyline of perfection behind oxidized-copper coloured railways and slightly dismantled abandoned building for lease. Glitter dusted along a paynes grey canvas, folds of clouds rolling by to uncover the speckled moon above.

"Not bad," dangling his legs off the ledge beside you, nothing but the train rumbling by interrupted the silence. "What's your favourite book then?"

"(Favourite book/author), why?"

"You asked earlier, I'm curious, is there more to say?" he leans forward a little, "my favourite food is chocolate,"

"(Favourite food)," you reply with a small smile, taking a swig. "What about music, Friggason?"

"It's actually... Laufeyson," he almost laughs at the shock he could sense, "yup, you've been complimenting me without even knowing," the can hits yours mockingly, "what? did you think the Allfather would be able to... be with a Giantess?"

"Yeah, that does make more sense," grimacing alongside him, you find Loki staring up at the sky.

"Karlvagn," a slender finger tilts up to a constellation, "otherwise known as Man's Chariot or-"

"The Big Dipper," finishing of his sentence brought amusement to you both, "Ursa Minor is right there," you point out as well.

"Kvennavagn, Woman's Chariot," resting back against his hand, it just grazes yours. There was no indication you noticed with your tense, still fingers pressed firmly against the brick. Your pinky had twitched closer his, bit by bit, eventually you catch his hesitating movements mimicking yours.

"Hey! Get down from there and shut up!" one of the cranky neighbors looks out her window and up at you both, waving her cane.

"Shit," you snicker, rolling off the ledge and back onto the roof.

~~~

Tomorrow I'm going to be doing a full day of lecture/reading for tutorials next week so I'll post the extra chapter because I know I'll forget to post tmrw morning

- Anna ❤️