Chapter 12 - Afford

The alley led out to an array of stores. No, nothing like Rodeo Drive or 5th Avenue. It was just what you needed, but... still, did you need these new clothes?

"Oh, I love shopping," Anna was practically bouncing as the sun ran its course down the horizon.

"Who would have guessed?" You hum to Stephen who scrolled through his phone absently.

"It's at least once a week," Stephen mutters making you smirk.

"Do you ever leave her side?" A knowing look was given to him.

"Do you ever shut up?"

"Oh, he bites back." You then meet Anna's side, "so, what's the plan?"

"If I'm good at anything, and I mean anything, it is shopping on a budget..." she turns a corner into a department store. "And also making good Indonesian food,"

"Self-promo, I see," holding the door open for her, letting it shut in Strange's face, smugly, you were met with bright showcasing lights. Fabrics of a continuous array hang on spotless metal racks. Brands beyond belief all over the place, but your comfort was seen in the sale section.

"Alright, this way!" Anna disappeared into the crowd of night shoppers.

"When will we be... Dammit- Anna!" Strage runs after as you took a moment to look up at the towering floors above.

~~~

"Uhm, I don't know," you look down at the price tag. "I'm not really liking it,"

"You mean your wallet isn't?" Anna asks from outside the fitting room. "Listen, just try them on, ignore the price tag before I start ripping them off,"

"She will," Strange kept typing away at his phone.

"Fine..." you draw back the curtain with a huff, gesturing to the green button up and black pants, belt fitted and cuffs rolled up. "How's this?"

Anna chokes on the slurpee she somehow got her hands on. "Holy fuck... me," she stands up on the couch with a gleam, "when I say you look hot, I mean I'd literally jump on your right now and-" her words muffle from behind Stephen's gloves.

"I want to know, but I also don't want to," looking at yourself in the mirror, you adjust the collar with a sigh. "I don't know,"

"You look hot," Anna finally was able to get a word out. "Try on the others first, then decide on one,"

"But I can't afford-"

"You can, you just don't want to spend it," Anna sits back down, crossing her legs, "but listen, tell me which you like best, and I can find a cheaper version in the thrift store down the road... I just want to get an idea,"

"Yeah yeah," ripping the curtains back shut, you fiddle with your shoes a little before fixing your hair.

"And you're getting something too, okay?" Anna looks sternly to Stephen who sighs, putting his phone down and walking to the clothing racks.

"So... while he's gone, want to tell me a few things about you? Him? The others?"

"Are we friends then?" She had such a hopeful and bright tone which undoubtedly brought a smile to your face.

"Sure,"

"Well, my powers are bringing works of literature to life," Anna winks to the readers, "and breaking the ever demolished fourth wall,"

"Fourth wall, huh? Like that Wade kid and the humanities teacher, Miss She-Hulk? Is that what we call her?"

"Yeah, most teachers like their hero names better," Anna taps her boots on the ground, swinging her legs. "Stephen is Mystic arts-"

"And why is he Doctor Strange?"

Anna laughs a little before looking to the readers and whispering, "shut up, nothing in a school Au makes sense, okay? Like why are some students students and not teachers? Why is Peter in the same year group? Where are Ned and MJ? Why is Rocket on Earth? Just-"

"Hey, Anna? Who are you talking to?"

"NO ONE!" that little scream made you jump. "Uhm, anyways, Stephen just planned to get a medical degree, was even enrolled into an early medical course but the accident happened and he couldn't continue. However, he has memorised every medical textbook known, so, ya know," she shrugs at the readers with a 'don't even ask' look. "Nat, Clint- well, everyone except the obviously loaded kids are on scholarships,"

"All SHIELD?"

"Kinda. Some have sponsors, but most were sent here after being taken out of whatever bad situation they were in,"

Your head drops a little, staring at the end of your shoes. "Right..."

"And hell, maybe they put us here so we don't try and kill half the universe, maybe not. However, it is doing us good, so that's all I care about,"

She wasn't wrong. Not at all. Then why have you been fighting it for so long? Maybe it was time to give in...?

~~~

"See? These black gloves are nicer than your yellow ones, matches your outfit too," Anna held Strange's hand while you all walk to the cashier. "Just these please," she places down all the clothes, including the ones you had tried on.

"Woah, wait those were-" you were shut up by a finger against your lips.

"Shut up," Anna took out a card, swiping it, "my treat,"

"Don't even try to fight it. Anna has, and will, fight to pay," Stephen takes the bags, going ahead first. He shudders at the memory when she refused to let him pay one time, "terrifying,"

"I like paying for people, don't worry," she nudges, taking your arm.

"Thank you, Anna, I owe you-"

"You owe me nothing, just try and have fun, okay?"

"You got it," moving into an alley, a portal opens into your flat.

~~~

I'm so tired so I'll actually go to bed lol

- Anna ❤️