Awakening

She wakes up in the middle of a field. The sun's high in the sky, yet it's dark out, like if it were the middle of the night. But there's not even a slight cloud cover. And hey, how'd she ven get here? Wasn't she just in her room, reading manga?

She rolls over and is shocked to see paws instead of hands. She scrabbles up to her feet, which really is a scramble since she's not used to being a quadruped. Then she sees a little black and red fox standing in front of her, smiling. "Hey there!" He says. "What're ya doing out here? You know it's dangerous in the Midnight Fields, right?"

She groans, "Uh... totally. I definitely knew that. And- wait, I know what you are! You're a Zorua! That little trickster fox Pokémon!"

The strange Zorua stares at her and says, "Yep, I'm a Zorua. You're odd though, I don't recall seeing ya when I was here half an hour ago. Who are ya, and where're you from?"

"I don't have to tell you anything!"

"Suit yourself. I guess you don't need help getting home from the one and only Zeke Zora!"

"So if I tell you where I'm from, you'll help me get back?"

"Of course! That's what an Adventurer should do!"

"An Adventurer? Whatever. My name's Lani, and I'm not from around here. Because I-" She was interrupted.

"I mean, of course you're not from around here! That's why I'm asking ya where you're from!"

"Let me finish. Please. I'm not from this world, clearly. Because Pokémon aren't real; They're fantasy creatures from a series of video games, books, and televised productions."

"Well then, how do you explain the fact that you're one of these 'fantasy creatures'?" Zeke raised an eyebrow.

"What?! I am?! Which one?"

"A Poochyena."

"Okay, could be worse, I guess. So, can you take me out of this place? To civilization or something?"

"Oh, yeah. Sure thing, let me just... Not that... Nope... Where is it?" Zeke shuffles through his bag of items, taking out and putting back orbs, discs, seeds, and berries.

Lani looks around and spots a lone orb glowing as it lays in the grass. She calls Zeke over to it.

"Yep, that's it all right! Thanks!"

"What does it do?" Lani asks as Zeke picks it up and holds it high.

"An Escape Orb? Well, it does..." The orb glows brighter than the sun overhead as a beam of light falls from the heavens and lands on them, like a spotlight from above. "This!" The beam of light grows narrower and narrower until Lani, Zeke, and the light are all gone.