The Star of Lost Souls

"Will I disappear when my purpose is fulfilled?"

Silence in the star. None dare to answer her for a solid ten minutes of walking in the star.

"...Yes." Zeke, her closest friend here, answers.

Quietly, they proceed through the star's maze-like interior until a being of souls rises out of the floor. It appears to be a form of Spiritomb. With a total of five hundred souls condensed into the small circle that it is, the party prepares to fight it. Adelno shapes the yellowish goo all around them into shurikens and throws it.

The soul thing absorbs it, bubbles, and explodes into a lot of the goo.

"This stuff on the walls and ceiling..." Spaky observes, "Is goo. Formed from the souls that make up the entirety of this place."

"What?" Aeko sticks her arm into the wall. "Huh. They're screaming. Guess you're right."

They walk a bit more before Lani opens here mouth once more. "I... I don't want to go..."

Again, nobody knows what to say, so nothing is said.

"What... do I do? It's not that I don't want to help destroy this thing and save the world... I just want to stay after..."

Zeke sighs. "It'll be alright. Besides..." He whispers something to him, and then they both look back at Adelno.

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"What, you talkin' bout me?" Adelno asks, then turns to Ario. "Hey, bro. They talkin' bout me?"

"It's fine."

"You didn't answer the question..."

"I know." Ario grins at him and chuckles.

The party walks into a large chamber. The wall to the left of them is missing, and goo is floatin gout of the ground as though it were falling up. In front of them is a beating heart. A really large, beating heart. Zeke and Ario throw Aura Spheres at it, but the up falling goo intercepts. They look up and see another path.

"There." Zeke says. "We need to be there to hit it."

"How're we supposed to get up there?!" Draki asks.

"We're in space, remember?" Adelno says. "There's probably another spot here that lets us go up there. Likely will look like this, but without the heart."

Adventurer Party Two turns back and wanders for a while before more soul goo comes to life. It attacks them this time.

Adelno's heart becomes visible and glows brightly. He puts his hand to his chest and pulls out a glowing sword, which he uses to vanquish the soul amalgamation. He plunges it back into his heart, which stops glowing and becomes non visible once more.

"What... was that?!" Everyone asks.

"Up there." Adelno points up to a path on the ceiling, then to the wall. "We climb that, we can probably get up there and stick."

They climb the wall and stick to the ceiling, as though gravity shifted with them, for shift it did.

"That way."

They walk down the new path, making many twists and turns, fighting many soul things. Tired, they stop to eat apples and orans before hitting the road again.

After lots of walking, they make it back to the chamber with the heart.

"There it is..." Adelno announces. "The Heart of Darkness."