The Roar that Tinkers with Time (And the Ones That Wield It)

"Someone gave my brother this power." I say. "Years ago, when he left. They corrupted him."

Lani sighs. "Zeke?"

"Yeah?"

"This is crazy. I mean, c'mon, like we're gonna find some sort of demonic loan shark that gives power in exchange for one's free will." She says.

I take a deep breath and look at the sunset at the other end of the endless expanse of sea.

"We'll let him be."

Some worm-filled cans are better left unopened.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I have this vague memory from before the undoing.

This guttural roar.

Alone in the woods I managed to replicate it.

I'd just skipped a stone over the Worldpool. When I roared like the voice, the stone unskipped and then reskipped. The longer I held the roars for, the weirder it got, until eventually the stone was reduced to dust. When I stopped releasing the noise, the stone de-dusted itself and finished skipping across the water.

I tried it again in a different spot of the woods, and this next time, with a half-eaten apple.

It unate and I felt hungry again. Then it completely ate itself up. Then the core rotted. Then the apple unrotted and unate, and blinked out of existence.

Silence, Ezekiel. The voice told me. I will remove my roar from your arsenal if you misuse it. Silence.

And that's how I obtained the power of the God of Time!

Yeah.

Just kinda... happened.

Sudden.

Ah well, moving on.

Got a life to live.