Zora

"Hey! Kama!" A young Zorua shouts as he opens the shoji door of his older brother's room. His brother, a Zorua that's three years older, groans as he lays in his futon. The younger Zorua walks in, moving trash around on his brother's tatami mats. "Man, your room's a mess, big bro. C'mon, it's nine in the morning. Your friends have been waiting for you."

"What?!" The older brother jumps up and runs around his room. "You're kidding, right, Ezekiel? Nine?! Oh, I'm late, I'm dead. I'm late, I'm dead. So late. So dead. Aaaaugh!" He puts on a green overcoat and practically gallops out of the room. He speeds through the house and pulls on some heavy-duty boots as he hops outside to meet his friends. "Hey guys!"

A Growlithe and a Sentret stand there, staring at him. The three stand in akward silence until the Growlithe looks at her watch. "Oh, no! It's nine!"

The three run off, in unison saying, "We're so late, we're so dead. So late... so dead... so late... so dead... Aaaaaaaugh!"

"Ezekiel!" The Zoruas' mother shouts from the kitchen. "Come here! It's breakfast time!"

The younger brother Zorua, Ezekiel, walks into the kitchen and sits on a zabuton at the table. "Enjoy!" His mother says as she puts two bowls of miso soup and small plates of grilled oran berries on the table. She sits as well and they begin to eat.

"Why does Kama always get to leave whenever he wants?" Ezekiel asks his mother over breakfast.

The mother swallows her bite of oran. "Oh, Ezekiel. He's older. And honestly, he's far stronger than anybody else in the Zora clan. Nobody could beat him except your father." She gulps and takes a deep breath. "In a couple of days, your academy year will start, too. And I fully believe that, by the time you're a second year in upper secondary, you will be a much better Pokemon than he is. You and him both have potential, Ezekiel. But I know that you can go oh so far. No matter what happens, Ezekiel, I'm proud of you."

Ezekiel gulps down all of his miso soup and quickly munches his berries. "Thanks, mom." He says. "Can I go play with my friends?

"Sure, honey. I'll clean up."

"Woohoo!" Ezekiel follows in his brother's footsteps and runs out of the house. He heads down the street to his friend's house.

"Hello, Ezekiel." His friend's mom (a Blizzard forme Ninetales) says. "Here for Yumi?"

"Yeah."

"Yuuuuuuumiiii!" Yumi's mom shouts. "Your boyfriend's here!"

A snow-white Vulpix  emerges from the house. "Mooom, he's not my boyfriend. How many time do I have to tell you that?"

"Oooookaaaaay, whatever you say, Yumi. Now go, have some fun."

Ezekiel and Yumi start walking away.

"And don't you two go causing trouble now!"

"We won't!" Yumi shouts back.

They enter a dark forest, the one always called "safe" by the townsfolk.

In the middle of the forest, they arrive at a tree house, which they climb into. Yumi, then Ezekiel. When Ezekiel gets to the top, he finds that a Pawniard and a Scraggy are attacking Yumi, threatening to throw her out the window if she didn't give them money.

"Hey!" Ezekiel shouts. In retrospect, he'd say it wasn't his brightest idea. But at the time, it seemed smart. He gets the Pawniard to look at him, and when it does, Ezekiel's eyes glow blood red. He lunges, evading every attack sent his way, and Wild Charges the bullies over the tree canopies and beyond the horizon.

"You okay, Yumi?" He asks. She still looks horrified. "Buh... bee... bah..."

"Huh?" He turns around to see what she's seeing.

A Ferrothorn and an Escavalier stare at him angrily from outside the tree house window. The Ferrothorn blocks the exits and the Escavalier goes in for the kill. "Grrrrrrraaaaw!!"

Ezekiel closes his eyes.

Ezekiel and Yumi hear a strange humming. They here shrieks of terror. And then...

"It's okay..." A familiar voice says. "You two can open your eyes. I'm here now. You're safe."

Ezekiel and Yumi look. "Kama?" Ezekiel asks. There's a fifteen-year old Zorua standing right in front of him. Around him glows a rainbow aura.

"Hey, bro. I came as soon as the two ruffians smashed through my chem class's windows. They were mumbling in fear about a little Zorua and Vulpix kicking them miles. No one else I know could do something so spectacular than you two. So I sorta... ditched school."

"Man, your brother is so cool..." Yumi whispers in Ezekiel's ear.

"I know, right?" Ezekiel responds just as quietly.

"Remember, bro, I'll always be there for you. If you need me, call me."

"No matter where you are?"

"No matter how far." Kama smiles. "I'll be there. I'll help you with anything. Always on your side."

"Hey, larger Ezekiel?" Yumi asks. "You should probably get back to school..."

Kama gasps. "Oh, crap! What time is it? Ack! Swing by the juice bar this afternoon, will you? I'll see if I can hook you up with a free-"

"Go! Run! Hurry!" Ezekiel pressures.

"Okay, okay! Sheesh. Tryna get you free stuff and this is what I get. Whatever. See ya later, bye!" Kama shouts as he jumps out the tree houses and hits the ground running.

What happened to us?

When did you begin to dance into darkness?

...

It doesn't matter what started it.

I'll finish it.