bonus #10.5

Xavier held onto Ayla's hand tightly as he led her backstage to where some of the other parents were with their children.

With large red curtains hanging down from the ceiling, the auditorium was as grand as any other fancy Broadway stage. The backstage area was just as rowdy and loud as the audience area, with children running around in their tutus and their parents following after them with worry.

"Hi, Ayla. Mr. Knight, it's good to see you again," greeted the ballet instructor, Ms. Karina. "Are you ready?"

"Hi, Ms. K," Ayla shyly smiled before nodding her head.

"Alrighty, we're going to waiting behind the curtains, whenever you're ready to join us, sweetheart," Ms. Karina said, gesturing to where some of the other students were standing. With that said, she walked off to greet other anxious and excited parents.

Once they were alone, Xavier bent down onto one knee so that he would be at eye level with his daughter. Immediately, Ayla jumped into his arms, wrapping her tiny arms around her father's neck, wanting to snuggle a bit before she went up onto thestage.

"You nervous, darlin'?" He asked quietly, rubbing his hand on her back, wanting to comfort her.

"A lil', daddy," she muttered, resting her cheek on his shoulder.

"You're going to do amazing, princess," he encouraged, as he continued to rub her back soothingly. "Your mama and I are so very proud of you. We're going to be watching you right in the first row."

"Pwomise?" She looked at him with her large doe eyes before holding her pinky out.

"I promise, baby girl," He said, genuinely, never one to break a promise, especially with his little girl. He gave her both his word and pinky. "Maybe we can get ice cream after."

Ayla gasped, excitement dancing in her eyes. "Before dinna'?"

Xavier nodded as he whispered like they were about to share a secret. "Before dinner— I have a feeling your mama might just say 'yes'."

"Love you, daddy."

"I love you, too, darlin'," He placed a kiss on her cheek, before letting her go.

Feeling motivated, Ayla bid her dad goodbye, before practically skipping over to where the other dancers were lining up. With a proud smile, he left backstage and walked back to where the rest of the family sat in the first, second, and third row. He couldn't believe that all of them, over 20 of them, had cleared their busy schedules just to watch Ayla perform.

Like he had mentioned before, she had them all wrapped around her tiny finger.

As soon as he sat down in his seat next to Aurora, who was trying to get Jared to sit quietly in his seat, Jayden had climbed onto his lap, seeking comfort from his father.

"Hi, babe," greeted Aurora, once Jared had finally settled in her lap. Xander sat in between his grandmothers a couple of seats away, occupying himself with a large tub of popcorn that Xavier's father had gotten him despite Aurora's protest since it was before dinner. Her own father had even snuck a couple of candy bars for the twins to snack on during the show, ignoring his daughter's unamused stare. "How's she doing?"

"Good— she's a little nervous, but I promised her ice cream later," Xavier said, nonchalantly. Immediately, the twins perked up at the words, 'ice cream'.

"Later better mean after dinner," muttered Aurora, raising her eyebrow at her husband.

He said nothing.

"Xavier Knight, are you serious?" She asked, giving him a stern look. "You have got to stop offering the kids dessert before dinner.

Xavier raised his hands in defense. "Woah, when have I done that other than today?"