t h i r t y f o u r

Aurora tapped her fingers against the steering wheel impatiently. Students were beginning to pour out of the school doors, yet there was still no sign of Megan.

Ridgecrest Academy looked like the typical private school that she had often seen on TV. The buildings itself looked like a castle and in all honestly, it looked like a plainer version of Hogwarts.

Seeing that it had almost been 15 minutes since school let out, Aurora was starting to get worried. There was no text or call from Megan, so she decided to get out of the car and go look for her.

Grabbing her purse from the passenger seat, she stepped out of Xavier's Tesla and began to make her way towards the entrance. She could feel heads turn to look at her and she literally felt like she was in some cliché teenage movie.

From her peripheral vision, she could see stares linger on her figure, making her wasn't to squirm uncomfortably. God, she hated high school.

Given every student was in a uniform while she was in the clothes she wore to work— a thin peach blazer with a black jean skirt over a tight white top.. She definitely stuck out like a sore thumb.

Aurora quickly picked up her pace and finally made her way into the fancy-looking school

Aurora quickly picked up her pace and finally made her way into the fancy-looking school. Not sure exactly where to go, she began to wander around, looking for Megan. She passed a couple of lingering students, feeling their stares as well.

It's like they've never seen a grown-ass woman wander into the school before.

She continued to wander until she heard a deep voice echo through the hall. Aurora quickly rushed towards the voice, having a feeling this was where she would find Megan.

"Megs, please just open the door."

A male student, she assumed, stood in front of the female restroom door, banging on the door. And Aurora had a bad feeling as she got closer.

"Is Megan McKay in there?" She asked, using Isabella's maiden name. The guy jumped slightly at the abrupt interruption and turned to look for her.

His dark brown hair was disheveled and his eyebrows were scrunched together as he tried to figure her out. He had on a jean jacket over a white t-shirt with a pair of ripped black jeans and white Air Force 1s. His blue eyes screamed mischief, but right now, she could see that they were laced with worry.

He was also taller than her— making her wonder what high schoolers ate nowadays to grow so tall.

"She is," he hesitated, looking at her suspiciously. "Why?"

"I'm—" she paused, unsure of how to introduce herself. Who would she even call herself? Megan's brother's girlfriend? Sister-in-law? No. She wasn't even sure if Megan had mentioned she had any siblings. Ultimately, she decided on the simplest answer that would prevent any further questions. "I'm a family friend."

Before he could question her any further, she gestured for him to move aside to which he was hesitant to oblige.

Knocking on the door, she called out, hoping Megan would hear. "Megan, it's me, Aurora."