e i g h t

The quiet chatter of the lobby surrounded her like a blanket.

She had always been the type who needed background noise in order to get work done, whether it be music, or just simple non-coherent chatter.

Aurora sat on a sleek beige couch in the hotel lobby alone with her iPad in her hands. She had just begun to put together plausible ideas from the information the entire team had gathered.

Grace had gone back to the office to begin creating a mass document with all the gathered information and photos. The rest of the architects and designers had been dismissed by Aurora despite their offers to stay behind. She denied them, saying that it was Friday and they deserved to get dismissed early since they had put in hard work today.

Daniel was a bit hesitant to leave Aurora behind since he knew she needed a ride home, but she reassured him that she would call him when she got home. She just had to get her ideas sorted first before she left.

A sudden phone call caused her to pause. She dug through her purse, trying to fish out her phone. Like usual, her purse was a huge mess.

"Hello?" Answered Aurora, a smile slowly make its way to her face. She placed her iPad on her lap, giving her full attention to the person on the line. "Connor?"

"Hey baby sister," Her brother greeted her casually on the other side of the line. The Young siblings have always been close with one another. He was slightly overprotective over her, despite the one year age gap between the two, especially after what had happened with her and her ex-boyfriend.

"I thought you had practice til 8?"

Connor Young was currently a professional hockey player that played for the Boston Bruins. He was drafted immediately after he had graduated and was currently one of the best players in the NHL.

At first, Aurora had been upset that her brother had chosen to play for Boston. When he was in school, he had gotten a full ride to an out of state university for hockey, causing him to only come home on breaks. She couldn't even imagine him being all the way on the east coast for his career.

But she knew about his passion for hockey and would never want to hold him back from achieving his dreams. And despite her not knowing a single thing about hockey, she could tell he was pretty damn good at it based on the number of goals he has made.

"Coach let us off early," replied Connor.

"You sure you're not slacking off?" Teased Aurora. "You're hiding in the locker room aren't you?"

There was silence.

"How'd you know," muttered Connor, causing Aurora to laugh out loud.

She honestly missed her brother. It had been almost half a year since she had last seen him. He was often too busy with practice and games to come home, but he made sure to call often. Their mother would take the first flight to Boston to hunt him down if he didn't call.

"You're my brother."

"True," laughed Connor. It was funny how Aurora knew him so well and vice versa. "How are you Rory?"

Aurora was touched that even though he was thousands of miles away, he still made sure to check up on her. "Pretty good. I've just been working on a new project."

"That's good. You eating three meals a day?"

Aurora rolled her eyes. "You've been texting Liam too much."

Liam and Connor had met through Aurora, being that Liam was a big hockey fan, and the two had immediately hit it off as friends. Liam made sure to report back to Connor often, maybe a little too often to Aurora's liking.