2

-8 years later-

"Gryffindor!"

The sorting hat was raised from a brunette bushy haired 11 year old girl.
She smiled and walked to sit beside Neville Longbottom as a ginger haired 11 year old boy sat across from her.

"Harry Potter!" called McGonagall.

Whispers erupted as a dark raven-like messy haired 11 year old with a lightning scar stepped up.
He sat on the stole and McGonagall laid the hat over his glasses.

"Hm. Harry Potter eh? Hm~. Yes yes. You have many characteristics.
You have a thirst for knowledge others don't want... but you also want to prove yourself against others.. hm~. A very hard choice indeed.
You have the courage and bravery of a Gryffindor. Hm~. You have kindness but only to those who show you kindness. Hm~.
What house? What house shall I put Harry Potter in?
Of course your status counts but we have to wait~ for 5th year when you will be resorted~.
Hm~. Maybe. Maybe Slytherin.
But that bravery.
Hm~. Such a hard choice."

"Put me in the house people expect me to be in for now." chimed Harry.

"Hm~. Yes that is wise~. Yes that I shall do."

...

"Gryffindor!"

Cheers erupted and roared from Gryffindor table as they chanted how they got Harry Potter.
Slytherin sneered but they were secretly hoping to get Harry Potter. The boy was obviously a Slytherin subconsciously or not.

Harry smiled and sat beside Ron who smiled back. Hermione nodded and Harry returned it.

-Present day-

*Peck* *Peck*

Harry shot up from the mattress on Rons floor and grabbed his glasses.
The clock beeped 12:00 am.

It was now July 31th, Harry's birthday.

Harry got up and opened the window for Hedwig to swoop in elegantly.
The now 14 year old raised an eyebrow in confusion.

Usually the owl was a black or dark brown. Hedwig had never came with the rose.

Although that seemed strange to Harry, he smiled nonetheless and took the freshly cut red rose.
The red of this specific rose was magnificent and elegant in the moon light.

Harry ran his hand gently over Hedwigs snowy white feathers and Hedwig stretched her wings before burying into her neck.

Harry sighed and sat back down on the mattress.
He twirled the rose gently and slowly in his hand so the moon light could hit eat part.
It had rained so droplets were still on the gentle petals.

The door suddenly opened and Harry went to hide the rose until he saw it was Hermione. He sighed.

"Blimey 'Mione you scared the shit out of me." Hermione smiled. "Sorry Harry but it's your birthday and I wanted to see the rose that was sent this time."

Harry smiled as Hermione sat cross legged on the mattress.
He pulled the rose out from behind his back and Hermione smiled.

"How do the roses get more beautiful every year?" Harry shrugged. "I'm wondering who sends them." Hermione nodded. "Maybe it's your mate." "But how do they know about me when I don't know about them?" "Well you have a magical band covering the spot your soulmates name will appear next year while your soulmate doesn't.. plus they may be older than you." "Yeah but even Hedwig knows who sends me the roses. I mean she came with the rose in her beak this time." "And not a dark colored owl?" Harry shook his head and Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Hedwigs really good at tracking." Harry sighed. "I wish I was a good tracker." Hermione chuckled and shook her head. "I want to know who my mate is. It would be amazing to get something like this for my birthday." Harry sighed. "Yeah I know. It would be great to be able to do the status test this year." Hermione nodded. "Just one more year." Harry nodded.

Both stared at the rose as Harry continued to twirl it slowly.