𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐋𝐈𝐕

MADISON

I try to eat the toast as fast as I could, munching on the pieces left as to not arrive late at work. I am all dressed and ready yet my eyes still closed on their own accord. I cleaned my plate and the other one, staring at the clock in the kitchen wall minute after minute. That's why when I felt cold arms snake around my waist I jumped.

"What the fuck? You're freezing," I shiver, turning around quickly.

"Well, it's cold. Duh." I chuckle, having already gotten used to this ambient.

Ember flashes me a cheeky grin before hopping up on the kitchen counter.

I have been living with Ember for two weeks since yesterday and I had thought it would've been much more difficult and stressful than it was. She cleaned, cooked and bought enough groceries so that meant I had enough. She was also the best emotional support I could have hoped for.

"It's getting late, lets go," she whines as she grabs her coat and keys. I grab mine as well, following the crazy woman along the apartment corridor.

I was glad I hadn't seen even a peak of Aaron at work, knowing full well that I wouldn't be able to function correctly if I had. I did hear his name though, which still didn't make things easier. Workers whispered he was making work harder for everyone, asking too much, yelling too much, stressing everyone too much. He was not my boss directly, instead being the boss of my superiors and directors, so it wasn't out of the ordinary that he didn't give directions directly to me and I didn't get to see him.

Nevertheless, a part of me wished to see his face. Stare at those blue eyes and take everything back. But I knew he needed someone who wanted the same as him. But I wanted the fairytale, what women are taught to want. And that was prefect. Right?

Once we arrived, Ember and I sat in our usual seats and got to work. It felt ordinary, like a routine that brought me sadder and sadder each day. There was nothing wrong with work, I loved it, but my heart broke every time I sat in that chair and knew that that week would remain the same.

Everyday I came back to Ember's house and lid in bed. 5 hours straight with my phone, scrolling, faking as if something was keeping me entertained. When in reality the tears rolled down my cheeks, salty drops ticking my nose before falling onto the pillow.

Every night the same. Every night the silent tears as I scrolled and scrolled through my phone.

I had fallen in love once with my first boyfriend as a silly teen, yet my heart did not fill the way it did now, and it did not break as it was doing. I did not leave Aaron because I loved him too much, or because I was not ready for his love. His words at the beginning of my stay with him still played an important role in my head, he didn't want anything serious, and although love could change that I was not there to risk it and get my heart more broken than it already was.

Charlie stared at us with a look full of concern, his eyes going from Ember to me. He knew. I knew he knew something was happening but I had not yet told him what it was. Laurent knew something as well, from the fatherly look on his face as he stared at me with full of concern. I didn't want this to be like a little high school secret that only Ember knew, so when lunch time arrive I told them what had happened.

I tried to keep the tears at bay when telling them, and I succeeded, but my heart broke with every word. I was shocked when Laurent embraced me in a hug from his seat next to me, and how Charlie, who was always talking, maintained mute.

"You're a smart woman, Madison," Charlie spoke seriously which was not common for him, "if you think that was the best choice I support you. You're not looking the best, and I now understand why Mr. Ryan has been so cold," he chuckled lightly, "but if you need anything, know that I'm always here." I smile gratefully at my friend, matching Ember's smile that looked at him with so much love in her eyes, yet the sadness and regret were clear. I knew once I was better and she was ready she could tell me all that had been happening with her and Charlie, but now was not the time.