Chapter One

*E V E L Y N      I M A N I       S T E V E N S *

 " Okay, you guys. That's time. All pencils are to be put down at this second. " The older woman whose name was Shelly instructed us. She looked to be in her mid-fifties. Her striking gray hair is neatly tied in a bun, out of her soft wrinkled face. I could tell she was a beauty back in her day.

The rest of the testing adults, including myself, laid their pencils down next to our testing sheets. Many of the unfamiliar faces smiled with joy. While others looked defeated.

Shelly is a very sweet woman who had a mothering personality. Thank goodness for that though. I was already nervous as is. As soon as we sat down she made all of us feel welcomed. While handing out peppermints Shelly made small talk with us. Wishing us luck. She was a nurse for the past 20 years so she knew exactly how we felt. To be in this seat. Praying for the best score we could get.

The CPN is better known as the Certified Pediatric Nurse exam. Is one of the biggest test we take to further our careers. My palms feel sweaty even as the temperature reads 69 degrees on the thermostat. Only a couple of answers wrong could ruin my test. " Woosahh," I said in my mind shaking my hands beside me to ease the nerves. At this point, I could only pray I did better than I think.

"Why do you look so worried Nurse Stevens? You did a great job. I just know it. So wipe that look off your face and hold your head up high." This woman assured me with such little words. I had zoned out and didn't even notice her standing there at first. I thanked her as she took my test and moved on to the next. Giving me a small smile.

She dismissed the class while wishing us luck once again. So I grabbed my purse tossing it over my shoulder beyond ready to go home. I waited patiently as the others filed out the room before me. When I finally made it to my car. I set up my GPS. " Home " the Bluetooth beeped and called out the address. I hit okay on my steering wheel and drove out the parking lot.

It was a condo that I shared with my boyfriend of 5 years. I had moved to New York from the coast of California with a full-ride scholarship to NYU. The snow drove me crazy when I first moved here but now it's okay to deal with. Especially since Treyvon cuddled with me late nights while we were snowed in. We had met during our freshmen year during a party that his roommate was throwing. The guy was a complete fucking cornball. Yet, he was known for his epic parties. So being a newbie I had to go. I didn't expect to fall for someone so quickly when I got there. Especially someone who majored in Journalism.

Nothing is wrong with that. It's just that our schedules were so different. My hours of study lasted longer. Even after classes. I always had to study. He always was researching essays and projects. Making it harder to hang out most of the time. Four years later we graduated.