Chapter Eleven

E V E L Y N

Keil Jose Thomas

" We can finally go home! " Evelyn kissed Keil nose. They had been in this hospital for 2 whole months. After she healed. The doctor wanted to keep Keil under surveillance until he was for sure healthy. Khalan and Evelyn worried many nights about their son when he wasn't doing good. However, he recovered from his episodes. He has been episode-free for weeks now.

Evelyn slowly but surely regained her strength. She had fallen into a deep depression with everything going on. Khalan noticed this and stayed by her side through it all. Even when she pushed him away. He was still there. No, they still aren't together but they doing pretty well as far as co-parenting.

Khalan was there bright and early every day to see his son wake up. Once the doctor cleared Keil to be fed outside the incubator. Khalan gave him his first bottle each morning. Despite being late into his son's life. He did all he could for him. Evelyn watched his interactions with the baby. Making her feel guilty. She had really took some precious moments from him and from Keil. All she wanted was for her son to be born healthy. In a perfect world. She wanted an family. Things didn't happen in either way so it fucked her up mentally. 

One day she woke up and had a serious talk with herself. Knowing she admitted to what she did was wrong. Getting over it was the problem she had. Yet that morning she told herself. There was nothing she could do to change what happened. Just to move forward with it all. To look on the bright side with things.

Khalan didn't abandon him for her fuck ups.

Keil health is in perfect condition now. 

And Trey is now history. When the statement got processed he pleaded guilty. Being that it was his first offense. They gave him 6 months for jail time. He was ordered to pay all of her doctor fees. To take it a step further. The judge gave him a restraining order for the protection of the baby and Evelyn. His parents tried to fight the charges. Yet, with Evelyn's consent. They released her medical folder on the incident. Shutting all of his mother's shenanigans down.

She had hated it came to that though. But it was time to move on. So while being bedridden she looked for apartments. None of them stood out at first. Either the kitchen was ugly, or she hated the location. Eventually, Evelyn found something that checked all of what she wanted.

One, traveling distance from work and Khalan's house. Just in case there was an emergency. She wanted it where Khalan could there in a record of time.

Two, pricing. Khalan told her she didn't have anything to worry about. Evelyn appreciated it but she wanted her own bills in her own name. A place that was worth it. Cause some complexes charge an arm and a damn leg for bullshit.

Three, an apartment on the first floor. Being on the top has scarred her for fucking life.

It took some time to sort through potentials  but she got it done. When she was able to leave she went to check them out in person. Of course, Khalan tagged along. " Got to make sure yall straight " was what he kept telling her. Evelyn enjoyed his company though. So she didn't fight him on it. The place was smaller than her first condo. To her, it was just right. It's only going to be her and the baby anyways.

" What about child care? " Evelyn ranted while they drove back to the hospital. From signing the lease. " My medical leave is about up Khalan. You work as well. Are there any good daycares around? "

He smacked his teeth " Daycare? My auntie will do it with no problem. "

Evelyn rolled her eyes. " Are you sure? Imma talk to her to make sure its okay. If she doesn't mind we will talk about payment. "

Khalan waved her off. " I already talked to her about it mommas. While you were in the hospital she decided to move in with me for good. She offered to be honest. As far as payment, I got that. Just worry about working and covering your apartment. " She released a deep breath deciding to leave it alone.

" Yall ready mommas, I got the car out front heating up so yall won't be cold," Khalan said bringing Evelyn out of her head. He started to grab the bags of formula and diapers. Making sure they weren't leaving anything.

" Um yeah. They just brought the discharge papers. " Evelyn said adjusting Keil's beanie. Khalan had brought this whole outfit. Baby GAP sweater onesie. " That's everything? " She looked around the room to check.

Once they finished up. Evelyn closed the hospital room door for the last time. Keil was now sleeping inside his car seat. Khalan popped the trunk tossing the bags inside as Evelyn buckled him in the backseat. The November air was brutal. Letting the car heat up was a great idea. " We going to go to my house for a lil while. Buddy from the furniture place called me before I came up to get yall. They will finish setting everything up in a little while. "

" That's fine. I wouldn't mind seeing your auntie and Kamoria anyways. " Evelyn said as the radio turned to a song that she haven't heard since she and Khalan had been together.

He smirked. " You remember this. "

Of course, she did. He made love to her to this exact song. After a night out to a party.  "August Alsina - Kissing on my tattoos". Evelyn smiled at the memory. " Don't get any ideas " she joked mugging his shoulders. Khalan bit his lips. But didn't say anything right then. She had made up in her mind to wait on sex with him. Khalan understood.

He did go get tested and treated so, that wasn't the problem. She knew she loved him. The question is did he love her? It would be the reason why they aren't together. Besides. This past year with everything going on. Evelyn felt like she shouldn't be too quick to settle down just yet.

Khalan drove the rest of the way as the radio played. The guard nodded his head at him once they had pulled up to the gates. It slowly crept open. Allowing them inside. Evelyn sighed at the last memory of being here. Kamoria's birthday party..

" Just wait here for a second. I'll get lil man. " Khalan put the car in park and got out. Evelyn watched as Khalan unhooked the car seat. Shutting the door behind him. So she opened the passenger side and got out herself. Khalan looked back at her. Waiting for her at the front door.

Khalan twisted the doorknob walking inside the house with Evelyn right behind him.

" Surprise !!!!! "Evelyn's hand flew to her chest as she realized what was going on. Her dad, Margie, Kamoria, Chase , Sade, and her co-workers stood there with smiles on their faces. Tears swelled in her eyes as she read the banner. 

-