Chapter Three

E V E L Y N 

Over the past month, things at work have been great. My new coworkers welcomed me with open arms. All of my patients loved me just as much as I adored them. I hate seeing them sick so each time I did my best to care for them. I didn't even realize how quickly the days were flying by. Especially since I no longer counted them.

The second week of me being there. I began to learn labor and delivery. No, I didn't assist in giving birth. But the aftercare of the moms and basic care of the newborns was in my range. It felt weird watching them hold their children. My mom missed that chance. It took me some time to shake the feeling I felt. but eventually, I did.

Things had been great on the clock but at home was a whole different story.

Me and Trey's relationship was barely existent at this point. When he left on my first day. I barely reached out. Barely picked up the phone whenever he did find the time to call. My body no longer craved him anymore. At least that's what it feels like. To me, the feeling is more of a roommate situation at this moment. Yes, I still loved him. But actually in love? I think I'm losing that.

Honestly, it's his fault for me being cold towards him. I tried as much as I possibly could to make it work with the differences we face. To the point where I was begging for basic respect. When he gets back we may need to talk. It really might be time to end things for good.

I had been at the hospital so much just to not be home. Avoiding the feeling of loneliness overall. My manager forced me to be off for 3 days. Luckily, Sadie was off as well. Feeling a little courageous I decided to hit her up to make plans. It's been a while since I heard from my bitch anyways.

The phone rang in my ear for a few seconds. "Hey Sade, do you have any plans tonight?" I asked fondling with my comforter that I was snuggled inside of. In my mind, I was thinking of different things we could let loose and get into.

I heard some shuffling on the other side of the phone before she spoke up. "Um, no. What that?" she whispered.

"Girl why the fuck are you whispering? " I asked genuinely confused. Normally she would be the loud and bubbly one out of us two. I mainly got called boujee or stuck up. Which I am not. kinda.

"Nothing. I have a friend over - " She admitted. Going back silent for a second. I heard a door shut in the background. " You wanted to ask me something?"

"How about we catch up at the club tonight?"

She chuckled lowly." You? A club? " Sade knew her friend wasn't the type of person to go out due to my relationship with Trey.

" Im forreal.. It's been so long since I saw you. I'm in need of one of our chats. " I rambled, hoping she would say yes. Cause it's true. I miss my friend.

"Okay, We can do that. Um, Is Treyvon home?" She asked reluctantly.

I sat up with my interest peaked. "No, why you ask?"

"I was wondering if I can spend a night or two with you -"

Before she could finish I replied. " Sadie, you know you are welcomed here. Go ahead and come over right now. " I could feel something was really off. I wanted to ask over the phone. But something told me not to. Just wait before I open that can of worms.

" Alright, Um I'm on my way. Expect me soon. " She said. We hung up the phone. Luckily when we picked out this condo we went ahead and got a 2 bedroom. That's where she would sleep for the time being. No matter what. My friend is always welcomed here.