Chapter Twenty-One

E V E L Y N 

My dad and I went to go visit my mother's grave together. He had told me that he visits her at least once a week. I admitted my shame and guilt to him about the shit I put myself in. He promised me that she wouldn't be upset with me. Just like he isn't. We all make mistakes. You just have to learn where you went wrong and move on from it.

The California heat burned my back as I stood over the gravesite. My father left me alone for a minute. Letting me know he would be in the car waiting on me. " I wish you were here mommy. "

Before I knew it an hour had passed as I caught up with her. Telling her every heartbreak. Every challenge I had faced. Me getting accepted into college and me having a career in pediatrics. By the time I was done. I felt a little about everything. Once I got back home I knew I was going to have to face my shit head-on. Being here made me see everything more clearly.

My dad wanted to cook for me and sade so he had me invite her over. Her uber would be arriving in a few minutes. " Go sit down Evelyn. Dont stress my grandson out " My dad scolded me jokingly.

" Dad, i was just trying to make myself busy. " I smiled shaking my head.

" You are busy, busy baking my grandson. " My hands went up in surrender. Giving up the fight. I got comfortable at the island as the smell of food lingered in the kitchen.

A knock came from the door making me move from my spot. Pulling my shirt down over my belly. I went to open it. Sade walked in like she had been here before. " Hey Dad!" she yelled disappearing around the corner.

" Ah! Sade, it is nice to meet you. " He cheesed as he fixed our plates. " You came just in time. "

" Good. I was starving. "

I smiled watching them bond. Sade was a sister to me so I didn't mind her calling my dad her dad. Hell, she knew all about him anyways. From me talking about him so much. " Yall just done forgot all about me " I joked sitting down at the table in front of my plate.

We spent the evening talking about everything under the sun. Newyork and its weather. Work. Even spilled some dirt on what we did in college. It was great to be away from the drama. To let it all go for the moment.

The rest of the trip was spent with us walking down the boardwalk. Trying different foods, shopping, and talking shit about the men back home. We had so much fun. Unfortunately, my friends all had left California so she couldn't meet them. We made plans for them to meet us in New York when they all had the time off from their jobs.

Meanwhile

KHALAN

The door bust open to my office. Chase walked in with a blunt between his lips. " We got a problem bruh. "

Sitting the stack of hundreds down I raised my eyebrow at him. " What fucking problem? "

He sat down in the chair. " Somebody has been tryna crackdown on our corners. "

" Any leads? " I asked pulling my drawer open retreating my gun. It was heavy so i knew then and there it was loaded.

" Hell naw. One of the Lil niggas was so shook up he ain't even get a description of the motherfucka who aired them out. "

" Pussy " Shaking my head as I grabbed my keys. "Let's go. "

On the ride to the barbershop, my mind was fully focused on who the fuck even dared to try me like im pussy. Like I ain't well known in these streets. Like this ain't my fucking city. When we got there cops have surrounded the building. " Man what in the fuck! "

Chase shook his head hiding his piece in the armrest along with mine. I parked a little on downwards so they would try to search my shit. Together we walked up to the scene. The cop wanted to try to stop us. But let us through when I told him I was the owner.

I shook my head pissed at what I saw. All the windows had been shot out. There were two body bags laid out. I stepped through the glass to see everything sprawled out on the floor. A detective looked up from his notepad as we walked towards him. " You the owner?"

I nodded my head as chase walked on ahead. " Yeah "

" Im sorry what happened here. Heard this was the best barber in town. " He cleared his throat. Watching my every move. " So, Mr. Thomas where were you when the shoot-out happen? "

I smacked my teeth. Feeling that his crooked ass was already painting this as gang-related. " I ain't even know this happened. Like every week I was coming into check-in only to see yall surrounding the place. "

He scribbled on his notepad. " We got a tip that drugs were being run out of here. "

Ight, somebody coming for me hard as fuck. " That tip was a lie, detective. Do you see any drugs in here? "

He held out his hand in defense. " I'm just doing my job."

" Well do ya damn job and figure out who the fuck shot up my shit!"

He scoffed then laughed under his breath. but I ain't see shit funny. I was slowly losing my fucking patience. " Is that all? Am I being charged? "

He shook his head no. " Yo C. We out!"

We left the area before saying anything.

" Somebody gunning for me. If it's a war they want. Then it go be a war they go fucking get. "