Chapter Twenty

E V E L Y N 

 Eventually, I had to give Sade her phone back so she could be boo'd up with her man. I excused myself to my room so I could text Khalan in private. As soon as I unblocked him a series of texts came through. All night we spent time catching up. Talking about that girl who I fucked up. Putting that behind us as he apologized again for it. Shorty was in the hospital for a week afterward. It was 3 in the morning when I finally fell asleep. Missing the call from Trey in the process.

When I woke up in the morning. I called him back to let him know we settled in pretty well and made him aware of my plans for the whole trip.

He said that he would check in occasionally, that to enjoy myself. So that's what I did. I got out the bed to get dressed for the day. Together me and Sade ate breakfast before we did a little shopping. Around the early afternoon. I told her I was going to see my dad. She said she would catch up with me later.

The drive through the familiar city brought back memories from my younger days. I made a mental note to hit up some high school friends to hang out in the room with since I didn't really want to go to a club yet. When my childhood home came into view I cut my radio down to not disturb the people outside since my windows were down. My dad's Jaguar was parked in the same spot he made his years ago. I excitedly got out of my car. Walking up the pavement. I waved to the children that were playing in the yard next door.

I twisted the doorknob letting myself inside. I rolled my eyes. I had told my dad about leaving the doors unlocked. I could hear his music playing from the kitchen. He always listened to music as he cooked. I tiptoed around the corner and stood there watching him dance to the beat. He hit every note with his hips. Occasionally posing. My hand covered my mouth as I kept my laughs low. " You still got it, old man," I said once the song went off.

He damn near dropped his plate as he heard my voice. " Oh fuck Evelyn. You scared the flying shit out of me." He smiled sitting it on the table. I walked over to him as he met me halfway. Pulling me into a tight hug. He smelled of old spice. The kind my mother went crazy over. " I missed you so much, dad "

" I miss you too darling " He pulled back, grabbing my arms gently. " How is my grandbaby?" He beamed with joy. As he looked at my stomach.

When he found out he was more than excited. Screaming that it was going to be a boy. " We are fine dad. " The chair scraped against the wooden floor as I pulled it out to sit down in. He sat beside me and began eating. " If I knew you were coming I would have made you some. " I waved him off, reassuring him that I was fine.

We chatted as he ate his food. When he was finished he got up to put the dishes away. " C'mon" he motioned for me to follow him to the back porch. Where the yard was fenced in. We had a view of the boardwalk from here. My favorite place in the world. Oh, the nostalgia. " Now," he said sitting in his rocking chair. " For you to leave your little life in New York something must be on your mind."

" Am I that easy to read? "

" No. But you come from me. I know you like a book my little Evelyn. Now spill..."

I told it all the way from the beginning. How I wasn't getting attention from Trey. How I was unhappy with him in general. However, wanting to stick it out. . He scoffed at the mention of sex but didn't interrupt me. But he got pissed when I told him how his parents treated me when I first met them. Even more, than that Trey didn't defend me to them.

I mentioned how I met Khalan at work. That he made me feel more things that trey didn't. I even admitted that Khalan made money in illegal ways but he was strong, independent and his personality was the exact opposite of the man I had at home.

That even though he wasn't the relationship type. We bonded over time. Hardly ever apart unless I was working. Even the ass beating I gave that girl. My dad was proud of that. I looked down in shame when I told him who my real baby father was. That I was playing Trey the whole time.

I had feelings for him yes, but not as strong as the feelings I had for Khalan.

All of it until the other day I broke down at the memory of my mom. Making that decision I needed to visit.

When I finished I was a little winded from it all. He sat in silence before he spoke up.

" First and foremost. I don't give a damn that this so-called Trey has changed when he shouldn't have changed on you at all. Secondly, him not standing up for you should have told you where you stood baby girl. A man defends what is his to anyone who steps in his way of happiness. " He sighed letting me take it all in before he continued.

" This Khalan guy sounds sort of like me. Rough around the edges. Strong and an asshole in his own right. " We laughed. He was pretty much spot on.

"- he was wrong about not being honest with you. Even though in your own kinda way. You were honest with him. "

" - Now this is where you are wrong sweetheart. Never keep a man from his child. No matter the circumstances. I agree with your Sade friend. You need to come clean. If you and trey decide you guys want to work it out. Fine. But not before you evaluate your feelings for Khalan. You won't be able to move on until you do baby girl. I think we both know how you really feel about him right now. But let me ask you anyways.. Do you love this man?"

I nodded my head not afraid of being honest with the man in front of me who wouldn't tell me anything wrong. " Yes, I love Khalan."

" Then you know what needs to be done. "