Chapter Ten

KHALAN

( Last chapter continuation " Present time ")

" Let me talk to you for a minute outside son. " A man said from in the corner. Khalan didn't even know he was standing there. This had to be her father. He nodded his head. The guy walked out into the quiet hall behind him. Once the door shut, he cleared his throat. " You must be Khalan?"

" Yes sir " He nodded his head then stuck his hand out for a handshake. " I'm Omar, Evelyn is my baby girl." Khalan shook it with a tight grip.

"It's nice to finally meet you. " Khalan cleared his throat. He ain't never met somebody's parents before. So this was new to him. " So wassup, what you wanted to talk about?"

" What did you do when you saw the asshole who did this to her? " He asked.

" Oh, I whooped his ass. "

Omar broke out into a smile. " I like you already. That other guy was such a pussy. I'm glad she met a man who isn't afraid to defend her. "

" Oh, she ain't never got to worry about that with me. "

They stood in silence for a minute. " So, I don't know all the details. She told me some things. But I'm pretty sure other shit hit the fan after that. I apologize for what she did. Evelyn feels bad but like I told her. She was never supposed to keep a man from his child. "

To know that her father was on his side when it came to that made Khalan sigh in relief. " Yeah, I hated how shit played out. As of now, I don't want to keep hashing it out. Like I told her, we both fucked up. As a man, I know some of the shit I did was foul. "

He nodded his head. " I respect that."

After their little chat. Khalan knew him and Omar would be cool. He had asked him what was his plans though. Khalan didn't know how to answer that. That's something he wanted to talk to Evelyn about.

E V E L Y N

When her dad returned with Khalan she wanted to ask what they had talked about. But decided against asking. From the looks of it. Her dad liked Khalan so that was a plus. Mid conversation. A nurse came in to check on them again. The baby was doing great. " When can I hold him and do skin-to-skin contact? " Evelyn just wanted to feel him on her skin. The nurse said she could do it tonight when the visitors leave.

When she left the room. The conversation picked up where it left off. They had talked about a bunch of different things. As the sun began to set. Her father and Sade decided to leave. Sade had to work the next day. But her dad said he would be by in the morning.

Now, it was just Khalan and Evelyn alone. " So, how do you feel about naming him? " She asked breaking the silence. He looked back at her from the TV and smiled. " Deadass? " Evelyn shook her head yes. Khalan turned around giving her his full attention as he began to spit out random names " How bout junior? "

" Hell naw. I don't need two of yall " She said chuckling.

" Mrs. Stevens? " A voice came from right outside the door. Khalan looked at her waiting for what she wanted to do. She pulled the sheet to her chest as Khalan got up to open the door. Cops stepped inside, nodding towards him. When in the room they stated their name and the reason why they were there. Turns out even though Trey turned himself in. They still wanted to talk to her. Evelyn agreed on pressing charges. So they wrote down her statement with a promise of typing it up when they returned to the station.

" Again I'm sorry Khalan. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for me. Our son wouldn't be hooked up to tubes if I was just honest about my shit. "

Khalan sighed. " Stop apologizing mommas, like I said we both fucked up. " She shook her hands releasing the nerves she had built up inside of her. " He got my face and your curly hair," He said looking down at the baby.

Evelyn laughed. " I can't wait to take him home. "

" Speaking of home. What are we doing when you leave here? " He asked finally addressing the elephant in the room. She shrugged her shoulders. " As in me and you? I feel like we need to work through some things before it's an us. "

" That's fair. Where you and Lil man go stay. I would love for yall to come to the house. It ain't shit for me to get a room ready for yall. "

Evelyn thought for a second. " I think. I think I want to move into another apartment. Me being at your house wouldn't be good for me. We need time apart to think and breathe. I'll get somewhere closer to you so you can come by anytime you want. "

As bad as Khalan wanted to fight her on it. She was right. They needed time. Not only that. With the shit going on with this turf war she needed to be far away as possible. He had to keep a lid on the fact he had a child or they would be in danger. That's the last thing he needed. They agreed to apartment search soon. Even though Evelyn wanted to pay for everything Khalan told her no. Now that she was the mother of his child. She won't have to worry about shit ever again.

" So, have you come up with a name yet? " Evelyn asked changing the subject. Khalan sat back for a moment to give it some thought. He wanted something that when people heard it. They knew exactly who he was. He started spitting out suggestions but none of them seemed right. One name finally came into his mind and stuck.

" Keil Jose Thomas "

___

Its pronounced as (Keel )

💕